20060721: compressed MODIS hdf files?

>From:  "Connell, Bernadette" <address@hidden>

Hi Bernie,

re:
>I regularly use McIDAS to look at MODIS hdf files from the DAAC.  This
>week, I downloaded some files that were about half the normal size and
>it took a long time (couple minutes) to load one band.  (I'm using
>McIDAS for XP and although I have not yet installed the 2006 update, I
>have also tried it on a system that has that update).  CPU usage on the
>system goes up to 99%.  At the site, they mention that some of the data
>are produced by MODAPS and users should be aware that MODAPS is using
>HDF compression.  I suspect this is the problem and the solution is to
>uncompress the data outside McIDAS.  Has anyone had this experience?

I have not seen this problem, but, then again, I have not downloaded
compressed HDF files.

I too am interested in others' experiences

* Tom Yoksas                                            UCAR Unidata Program *
* (303) 497-8642 (last resort)                                 P.O. Box 3000 *
* address@hidden                                  Boulder, CO 80307 *
* Unidata WWW Service                            http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/*