[McIDAS #FLG-540127]: Errors starting McIDAS in users accounts

Hi Kwan,

re:
> Thanks.  I tried to set up the user accounts the old way.
> After adopting the new method, I did not get the previous
> error anymore.

I like to hear success stories :-)

> After adding the McIDAS environment variables, I attempted
> to start McIDAS by entering 'mcidasx'.  A window poped up
> and asked if I wanted to start the McIDAS GUI.  When I
> clicked 'START', I got the yellow background McGUI that I
> am used to.  But on the second time when I decided to
> increase the number of frames from 4 to 24 in the poped-up
> window.  I was surprised to see that it began to set up a
> GUI that was different from the McGUI.  Later on did I
> realize that you talked about two GUIs in the McIDAS
> tutorial (2002), and this GUI must be the SSEC GUI (am I
> right?).

You are correct.  There are two guis in McIDAS: MCGUI
and GUI.  MCGUI is the one I wrote; GUI is the one that
SSEC wrote.  They have different approaches to how the
user is wanting to interact with McIDAS.

> I must say that this GUI is harder to work with
> than the McGUI, which I find much more intuitive and
> generally load images and data faster (partly because I
> need to click less buttons).  But once the SSEC GUI
> finished its initial set ups, I could not get McGUI to be
> the default GUI.  I had to run through 'mcidas config' to
> get McGUI back.

The file that contains default settings for McIDAS invocations
is ~/.mcidasrc.  Starting McIDAS by running 'mcidas' or 'mcidasx'
will put up the default interface that was set in .mcidasrc
regardless of how it was set (you can edit the file directly).

Running 'mcidas config' (or 'mcidas -config') brings up the
interactive widget that allows you to specify which gui to
run.  This will be saved as the default as long as you remember
to select 'Yes' for the 'Save configuration values to defaults file'
(at the bottom of the interactive widget).

Ticket ID: FLG-540127
Department: Support McIDAS