[McIDAS #FLG-540127]: Errors starting McIDAS in users accounts

Hi Kwan,

re:
> ... I am installing McIDAS for the
> engineering department here at CCNY today on a linux
> machine running RedHat Enterprise WS 3 EMT64-bit.  I
> followed the installation instructions, and McIDAS
> appeared to run fine in mcidas account.

I am running McIDAS v2005 and v2006 on my Fedora Core 5 64-bit machine
here at the UPC.  I have not encountered any problems so far...

> But after I
> finished setting up the user's account and run mcidasx
> there, I got
>
> Error in startup script: invalid command name "fileToList"
> while executing
> "fileToList $mcrcfile"
> (procedure "readMcidasrc" line 139)
> invoked from within
> "readMcidasrc "$home/.mcidasrc""
> (file "/usr/local/mcidas/bin/mcidas" line 667)
>
> Not sure what these mean.  Sorry to boder you again.

This typically means that the environment variables needed to run McIDAS
have not been correctly/fully set in the user account.

Starting in v2005, I added some shell definition files to the Unidata McIDAS
distribution to try to make setting up accounts easier.  If you have not
switched to the method of setting up accounts I describe in:

Configuring a New User Account
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/mcidas/2005/users_guide/ConfiguringaNewUserAccount.html#22412

please switch to this method as soon as you are able.

In brief, the new method asks you to stop directly including definitions for
environment
variables needed by McIDAS, and to read the definitions from the files included
in
the Unidata McIDAS-X distributions 'admin' directory.  The following lists the
lines
that will be included in your user's .cshrc (C-Shell), or .profile,
.bash_profile, or .kshrc
files (for the Bourne shell, Bash, or Korn shell, respectiely):

Non-conforming shells (e.g., C-Shell):
setenv MCHOME /home/mcidas
if ( -e $MCHOME/admin/user_env.csh ) then
  source $MCHOME/admin/user_env.csh
endif

Conforming shells (e.g., Bourne shell, Bash, or Korn shell):
MCHOME=/home/mcidas
export MCHOME
if [ -e $MCHOME/admin/user_env.sh ]; then
  . $MCHOME/admin/user_env.sh
fi

Please note that you might have to adjust these entries if the HOME directory
for your 'mcidas' user is not /home/mcidas.

After making the changes to your user's shell definition file, the simpliest
thing
to do is logoff and then log back on as that user.  After doing this, please
verify
that the various environment variables needed by McIDAS (e.g., MCDATA, MCPATH,
etc.)
have been defined.

Please let me know if this solves the problem you are seeing.  If it does
not, it may be the case that the directory permissions in the 'mcidas' account
are not set to permit non-'mcidas' users from accessing needed files.  In the
case
of the error you report, the file that should have been read is
~mcidas/data/upcguiprocs.tcl.

Ticket ID: FLG-540127
Department: Support McIDAS