[McIDAS #XKM-786092]: Anotehr bug: ADDE server not working?

Gilbert,

re:
>> <as 'root'>
>> cd /home/mcidas
>> sh ./mcinet2005.sh uninstall mcadde
>> sh ./mcinet2005.sh install mcadde

> Not working. Check this out:
>
> ---
> [root@weather3 mcidas]# sh ./mcinet2005.sh uninstall mcadde
> mcinet2005: /etc/services: mcidas already uninstalled
> mcinet2005: xinet: Using xinetd.d to set up services
> mcinet2005: /etc/hosts.allow: mcidas already uninstalled
> mcinet2005: /etc/xinetd.d/mcidas: modifying file
> mcinet2005: telling xinetd to reread its configuration
> mcinet2005: WARNING: your system is not running xinetd
> mcinet2005: xinetd mcidas configuration uninstalled successfully

This seems to indicate that xinetd was not running on your machine.

> [root@weather3 mcidas]# sh ./mcinet2005.sh install mcadde
> xinetd: unrecognized service
> mcinet2005: ERROR: xinetd needs to be restarted with the command:
>
> service xinetd restart

This seems to further indicate that xinetd was not running on your
machine.

> Now that do I do?

Huh?

> I forgot to mention...the latter is fine.

I'm sorry, what is fine?

> I am rebooting weather2 and
> weather3 now at 18:13Z after manually mputting in an archived mcidas file
> in /etc/xinetd.d,

I don't recommend copying an archive file to /etc/xinetd.d.  It is much better
to get the ADDE installation process working correctly.

> since I don't know how to restart xinetd manually from
> home yet (there's no /etc/rc.d/init.d/xinetd file anymore).

The xinet startup script is located in /etc/init.d:

$ ls -alt /etc/init.d/xinetd
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 2497 Feb 12 13:02 /etc/init.d/xinetd*

xinetd can be restarted as 'root' using:

/etc/init.d/xinetd start

> Oddly, there is one on weather.admin, so I am hoping you are getting data
> from that.

The ADDE setup script, /home/mcidas/mcinet2005.sh, appeared to fail because
xinetd was not running.  Once you get it running (see above), you should rerun
the uninstall and install process as I outlined previously.

After the ADDE setup script has run properly, the next thing to look
into is allowing access through port 112.  I can see that access is
allowed through ports 500 and 503 using telnet:

<from a unidata.ucar.edu machine>

% telnet weather2.admin.niu.edu 500
Trying 131.156.8.58...
Connected to weather2.admin.niu.edu (131.156.8.58).
Escape character is '^]'.

% telnet weather2.admin.niu.edu 503
Trying 131.156.8.58...
Connected to weather2.admin.niu.edu (131.156.8.58).
Escape character is '^]'.

But I am not able to connect when using port 112:

% telnet weather2.admin.niu.edu 112
Trying 131.156.8.58...
telnet: connect to address 131.156.8.58: Connection refused

This is a firewall or /etc/hosts.allow configuration that needs
to be changed for users of current McIDAS-X installation to be
able to use your ADDE server.

Ticket ID: XKM-786092
Department: Support McIDAS