[McIDAS #MCZ-288208]: McIDAS Documentation Comments

Hi Brendon,

Sorry for the tardy reply (User Committee meeting)...

> We recently had a student who was interested in using McIDAS to view
> NCDC archived nexrad data.  I was able to find the answers she was
> looking for in the mailing archive, but it did take a considerable
> amount of time poking the support email archives.  I was wondering if it
> would be possible to improve the upfront documentation so that users who
> want to use McIDAS to view archived data can find something a bit faster
> to guide them (maybe some kind of FAQ?)

OK.  I would like to point out, however, that the online McIDAS training
workshop materials have an exercise that walks one through the steps
needed to create an ADDE dataset from a collection of files.

> In the Unidata community
> spirit, here is the how-to email I sent to the student, feel free to post.

Will do.  Thanks!

> I was also surprised that the DSSERVE page in the users guide doesn't
> mention the NEXR type.

I had not noticed this! I will report this shortcoming to SSEC for correction
in the next McIDAS release (v2006).

> Also, the alphabetic pointers at the top of
> http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/mcidas/2005/users_guide/mainindex.html
> appear not to be working.

Thanks for reporting this.  I affected the fix so they work now (missing link).

Ticket ID: MCZ-288208
Department: Support McIDAS