20051202: Can't display NASA imagery any more on McIDAS-X

>From: Gilbert Sebenste <address@hidden>

Hi Gilbert,

re:
>Just started playing with McIDAS-X on weather.admin.niu.edu. OK, I don't
>see the new satellite imagery dataset you were talking about,

The setup on weather is such that you have a copy of ADDEIMAGE.CORE in
the ~mcidas/workdata directory that is the one you modified for v2004.
You apparently took the NASADATA entries from this file and added them
to the copy of ADDEIMAGE.CORE that is in ~mcidas/data.  The definition
of MCPATH on your machine (and others since yours follows the standard)
causes the ~mcidas/workdata directory to be searched before the
~mcidas/data directory.  This means that the MCGUI is finding the old
copy of ADDEIMAGE.CORE in ~mcidas/workdata and using it in preference
to the copy you modified in ~mcidas/data.  My recommendations in the
previous email were:

<on weather as 'mcidas'>
cd ~mcidas/workdata
mv ADDEIMAGE.CORE ADDEIMAGE.CORE.NIU
cp ~/data/ADDEIMAGE.CORE .
-- merge your settings for NASADATA into the this file

These instructions have you copy the v2005b version of ADDEIMAGE.CORE
to the ~/workdata directory and then modify it there.  What you need to
do now is:

<as 'mcidas'>
cd ~/workdata
ADDEIMAGE.CORE.NIU
cp ~/data/ADDEIMAGE.CORE .

EXIT your MCGUI and restart.

After doing this, you should see a PUB dataset in the Display -> Image
dropdown.

>and now
>I can't get the NASA images to come up via the menu, even though I did the
>cut 'n paste like you told me to. I verified I can see the imagery:
>
>$> imglist.k G8-GHCC/VIS
>
>Image file directory listing for:G8-GHCC/VIS
>  Pos Satellite/         Date       Time      Center   Band(s)
>      sensor                                 Lat  Lon
>   26  G-12 IMG       2 DEC 05336  23:45:00    21   70 1
>
>But it won't display from the menu---it pauses for several moments, and
>then the GUI comes back as though it displayed the image. Any ideas?

Not right off.  What does the output look like in the MCGUI command
and text window?  To see this, click on the MCGUI button with the keyboard
(just to the left of the Z button) and look at the invocation of IMGDISP
and send any error messages.