20051111: adde.ucar.edu IP address changed; action needed (cont.)

>From: "Corcoran, William T" <address@hidden>

Hi Bill,

>I do think it is me (us).  The command netstat -v hangs, and as I recall
>from when I used to do this stuff, that's indicative of some kind of
>network interface foul up.

OK.

>We're running very old Mcidas, simply because stuff has kept running and
>given us what we needed for our classes.  I had intended to upgrade
>somewhat back 2 years ago, but the linux system I kept bringing up kept
>getting hacked.  I had mcidas up and running nicely, but our IT people
>kept shutting me down 'cause I was spamming the earth. (BTW, I found
>some serious hacking on cumulus just now...whoopee.)  This may be
>impetus to move on.

It would be good to upgrade, but there are potential pitfalls
as you can well imagine.

>free to see what you can.

I tried to SSH to your machine, but I am not allowed:

/home/mcidas% ssh address@hidden
ssh: connect to host cumulus.MissouriState.edu port 22: Connection refused

Please let me know if you can open access through your firewall for
me.  I need be, you can limit machines coming from the unidata.ucar.edu
domain (128.117.140.*).  If this is not narrow enough, please
make sure that my work machine can get in: 128.117.140.86.

If/when I get in, do you want me to do/attempt a McIDAS v2005 installation?

>As always, thanks.

No worries.