20051103: Upgrading from FC 1 to FC 4 (cont.)

>From: Gilbert Sebenste <address@hidden>

Hi Gilbert,

>OK, the files are ready for you in /home/mcidas. Thanks!

OK, I see them.

Here is what I have done:

<as 'mcidas'>
cd ~mcidas
chmod +x mcunpack
./mcunpack

echo $SHELL
vi .cshrc
<remove McIDAS environment variable definitions and add use of ones
 defined in ~mcidas/admin/mcidas_env.csh>

logoff
logon           <- to use the settings in ~/admin/mcidas_env.csh

cd mcidas2005/src
make all

At this point, I ran into the problem I told you about in a
previous email: the build would stop on a link because one or more
entry points had not been added to the McIDAS library, libmcidas.a.

Instead of simply adding the entry points by hand, I decided to
see if adding a 'sleep' after 'ar' invocations would insure that
the items cached in memory would make it to disk.  I first tried
a 'sleep 1', but this wasn't sufficient.  I changed this to a
'sleep 5' after the 'ar' and a 'sleep 1' after the ranlib.  This
evidentally is a long enough wait since a clean build just went
all the way through with no hiccups, yeah!  I will be changing
this in my upcoming Addendum.

>Still baffled about the audio, even though the sound card works...I can
>hear the test sounds, etc. Weird.

This is weird.  I will ask Mike and Brian if they have any ideas
and let you know.

OK, so I have built McIDAS-X v2005, but I have not installed it yet.
I want to take a close look at the setup on weather3 _before_
I flip the switch.

Stay tuned...