20051024: McIDAS/LDM/XCD: aputserv locking I/O (cont.)

>From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Christian_Pag=E9?= <address@hidden>

Hi Christian,

>Here is the script that is spawned after a GOES GINI image is received:
>NIMAGE  ^satz/ch[0-9]/.*/(IR)/([12][0-9])([0-9][0-9])([01][0-9])([0-3][0-9]=
>)
>([0-2][0-9])([0-5][0-9])/(EAST-CONUS)/(.*km)/
>        EXEC        sc/do_g8
>
>There is a sleep 60 in do_g8, then make_g8 is called. I have included
>make_g8 in attachment.

I have been looking through the Bourne shell script 'make_g8' and
nothing is jumping out at me... yet.

I do have a couple of quick questions:

- where are you 'pointing' for the datasets GINIEAST and RTGINI
  (i.e., what is the results of 'DATALOC LIST GINIEAST' and
  'DATALOC LIST RTGINI'

- out of curiosity, why are you using two different datasets at
  the top of your script (GINIEAST and RTGINI)?

One comment:  You may want to run _all_ McIDAS commands from the same
'mcenv'-created environment.  This would make your script more
efficient, but you would then have to remember to erase and restore
appropriate enhancements to the frames that are to be reused.

>Thanks again,

I'm still reading 'make_g8', so I may have more questions.

By the way, the answer to your original question:

"Is this a signal of some problem with ADDE or other things related to
my Linux config (firewall?) or McIDAS/LDM ?"

I don't know if 'aputserv' not exiting is an indication of a problem
with the McIDAS build on your machine, but I would not suspect it.
Your script runs three invocations of IMGCOPYs, so 'aputserv' will be
three times.  The fact that you only have one invocation that is not
exiting would suggest that there is nothing fundamentally wrong with
the 'aputserv' code.

If the 'IMGCOPY' invocation is pointing at a remote server for its
input data, then you might be seeing the IMGCOPY timing out on the
client side.  The server transaction would still continue until it
timed out which would mean that you might well have an 'aputserv'
running after the script has exited.  We can figure out if this
is, in fact, what you are seeing by knowing which ADDE server you
are pointing to for the datasets being copied.  This is the reason
I asked for the results of the DATALOCs above.