20051021: McIDAS-related problems

>From: address@hidden

Hi Mekonnen,

>I just started running McIDAS in linux. I faced some problems and turned
>to your usual help.
>
>I did this:
>dsserve add TEST/AREA AREA
>DIRFILE=/rumsfeld/mek11/Sonora/GOES/rawdata/A8075031/goes*
>This worked fine, as I could tell from IMGLIST TEST/AREA result
>
>Then I did:
>IMGCOPY TEST/AREA.1 MYDATA/IMAGES.3000
>
>This returned the following error message:
>'Image token server unable to resolve this dataset: MYDATA/IMAGES'

This is telling us that you have not created the MYDATA/IMAGES dataset.
You can do this by running the McIDAS BATCH file MYDATA.BAT:

<as 'mcidas'>
cd $MCDATA
batch.k MYDATA.BAT

After the MYDATA dataset has been defined, your IMGCOPY should work
without error.

>Another question: Is there a way to extract the data at one location (for
>example, at lon=-110 and lat=30)?

Yes, run the IMGPROBE command in the non-interactive mode (MODE=N).
Here is a quick example:

IMGDISP MYDATA/IMAGES.3000
IMGPROBE LIST POINT LATLON=30 110 MODE=N    <- remember that longitudes
                                               in McIDAS are positive west,
                                               not east

Moreover, you don't even need to load the image before interrogating it:

IMGPROBE LIST POINT LATLON=30 110 MODE=N DATASET=MYDATA/IMAGES.3000

>Or how would you go about extracting data for a given location?

Use the LATLON= keyword in IMGPROBE.  You can also list back the values
for a region using BOX instead of POINT.

Please review the online help for IMGPROBE to get a list of all that
is possible.

>Thanks very much,

No worries.  So, you are now at New Mexico Tech!  Say hi to Dave
Raymond for me!