20051017: McIDAS-X for Windows XP - Bourne shell

>From: "Mike Smith" <address@hidden>

Hi Mike,

>Operating System: windows xp
>Hardware Information: 1 1/2  year old , HP HyperThread, Pentium 4 off
>the shelf
>Inquiry: I recently downloaded micdas2004b.trg.gz with all the supporting
>files, and I'm not able to get the script running.  I emailed
>mcidas2004b.sh to my brother (a real nerd.) He said mcidas2004b.sh is a
>bourne shell script, meant to run on Linux.
>Any help here would be appreciated.

Your brother is mostly correct.  McIDAS-X for Windows XP requires that
one load Services for UNIX 3.5 on the Windows XP workstation before
being able to install or run McIDAS.

The installation instructions for Windows XP, a section of the McIDAS
Users Guide that is unaltered from the SSEC version, unfortunately
mentions this almost in passing:

Installing McIDAS-X on Windows XP Workstations
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/mcidas/2005/users_guide/InstallingMcIDAS-XonWindowsXPWorkstations.html

 "This section contains background information about and the procedure
  for installing McIDAS-X on PC workstations running Microsoft Windows XP
  with Services for UNIX (SFU)."

Windows Services for UNIX (SFU) is freely available from Microsoft
(after you register with them):

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserversystem/sfu/default.mspx

>Operating system:
>Windows XP, not pro

The requirements for use of Windows Services for Unix are specific
in needing Windows XP Professional, not Window XP Home:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserversystem/sfu/productinfo/sysreqs/default.mspx

Under 'Minimum Requirements is the following comment:

 "(Windows Services for UNIX 3.5 does not work with Microsoft Windows
  95, Windows 98, Windows Millennium Edition, Windows XP Home Edition,
  Windows NT Workstation, or Windows NT Server.)"

Furthermore, you will need to purchase or locate a free X Window package
for XP.  Here is the SSEC comment under system requirement in:

Installing McIDAS-X on Windows XP Workstations
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/mcidas/2005/users_guide/InstallingMcIDAS-XonWindowsXPWorkstations.html

That is relevant:

 "** We do not have a specific X server that we recommend. We have
  tried many X servers, but have encountered problems, especially when
  cutting and pasting, with all of them. Some work better than others;
  many people at SSEC use Exceed, X-Win 32 or MicroImages."

Therefore, in order to use the McIDAS Windows binary, you will need to:

- upgrade to Windows XP Professional
- download and install Windows Services for Unix 3.5 from Microsoft
- load an X Window package on your system after the first two steps

At this point, you should be ready to install the McIDAS-X for Windows
XP binary.

Cheers,

Tom Yoksas