20051013: Compiling McIDAS on FC4 64bit (cont.)

>From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Christian_Pag=E9?= <address@hidden>

Hi Christian,

re: building McIDAS on FC4 64bit
>There was also a problem with our kernel probably. Running: 'yum
>update' and rebooting fixed the problems.

Interesting.  What revision of the kernel are you now running
(output of 'uname -a')?

Also, my previous advice about adding '-j 1' should _not_ have
made a difference since this _should_ be the default.

I have considered adding a 'sleep 1' to mcar.sh (the script that
adds members to libraries in the McIDAS build) so that all modules
will actually be added to the library.  The symptoms of what was
happening was that 'ar' was told to add a list of object modules
to a library (either libmcidas.a or libsdi.a) but only some of them
would actually be added.  We figured that the problem was that
the operation was being done in memory which was not correctly being
flushed to disk.  Your report of the problem going away with a
kernel upgrade would seem to reinforce this notion.

Thanks for the update!

>From address@hidden  Thu Oct 13 08:39:49 2005

Hi Tom,

re: what revision of the kernel are you running