20050921: finding a POES image that covers a specific earth location

>From:  "Guilherme O. Chagas" <address@hidden>

Hi Guilherme,

>I've also got a McIDAS question (I can't possibly remember of
>everything!)... Can an image be generated based on its lat and lon
>values?

You can load an image into a frame specifying a Lat,Lon point as its center
or upper left value.  The IMGDISP keywords to look at are LATLON= and PLACE=.

>I'm working with the NANUK dataset, trying to generate images
>for Rio but, since the satellite is always in a different position, I'd
>have to get an image centered around Rio's boundaries.

OK.  Polar orbiting data is always more difficult to use than geostationary.

>I had the idea
>of generating a script to get like the 10 most current images
>positions, evaluating the lat and lon and generating the product based
>on it. Is there a simpler way to do it?

No, you have the correct idea.  The problem is that the Aqua and Terra
sectors available on nanuk.eosdis.nasa.gov are pieces of a swath, not
an entire one.  You need, therefore, to find the piece that covers Rio
and work with it.  As I think you already know, this should be very
simple using the output from IMGLIST.  The tricky part is you have
to capture the IMGLIST output and then parse it to look for the
information you want/need.  I do this all of the time in Tcl scripts
(since I know how to use Tcl), and it should be just as easy to do in
other scripting languages).

>By the way, I'm still waiting for an update on that position....

Waiting is always difficult :-(