20050919: McIDAS: Cyclone Issues

>From: "Michael Keables" <address@hidden>

Hi Mike,

Long time no hear!

>I'm having problems with cyclone and the /var directory again; /var is
>full, I've checked the directory as ldm and root but can't seem to find
>out where the disk space is going. Would you please take a look at it
>for me when you get a chance? Many thanks in advance.

I found that the log file for cron was consuming essentially the entire
disk partition:

df -k

/dev/dsk/c0t0d0s1     413639  376450       0   100%    /var

<as 'root'>
cd /var
du -k .
296041  ./cron

cd cron
ls -alt
total 592084
-rw-------   1 root     root     302980053 Sep 19 14:52 log
drwxr-xr-x  28 root     sys          512 Sep 18 23:58 ..
drwx------   2 root     sys          512 Jan  8  2003 .

I copied the cron log file to the directory I created on your
/data partition, /data/cron.log.  I then cleared out the cron log
file:

<still as 'root'>
cat /dev/null > /var/cron/log

You now have space on /var, but it will slowly be eaten away as cron
logging proceeds (it turns out that your /var/cron/log file had entries
in it dating back to September 18, 2003).  After you have determined
that the copy of the cron log file that I created in /data/cron.log/log
is not useful to you (it shouldn't be), you should delete it to clean
up (need to be 'root' to look at the log file and delete it).

Finally, it looks like you could _really_ use an update on your LDM and
McIDAS installation.  Please let me know if I can help...

>From address@hidden  Tue Sep 20 08:19:04 2005

Thank, Tom. I appreciate it! I'll upgrade LDM and McIDAS this week.

Best,

Mike

--
Michael J. Keables, Ph.D.