20050816: FW: FW: grid file data

>From: "Batson, Bryan" <address@hidden>

Hi Bryan,

>Looks like SSEC is still balking at this. Did you guys ever happen to
>develop an ADDE application with this capability (i.e. generate and plot
>a sounding from a set of forecast grids) ?

Nope.  Like everyone else, I was waiting for a version from SSEC.

>One would have thought this would have been a simpler case (single point)
>of the application that does cross sections within grids...UACROSS.

Yes, but the code in UACROSS is a nightmare (trust me)!

> Apparently
> this became much harder by tying the sounding server (and thus the sounding
>plotter) in to point datasets.

At one point the sounding server had the hooks for accessing gridded
datasets.  That code was removed during a clean-up when trying to get
soundings to be served from a Linux workstation.  It turns out that the
serving problem was actually extra code in the client application that
was causing a problem.  Dave Santek found the coding mistake and
removed it, but did not (that I know of) add the hooks back in to
vpserv for access to GRID data.

>This comes up every 2 years or so when someone starts a flurry of e-mail
>to the MUG and/or McIDAS mailing list that it would be a good thing, but
>apparently never gets a high enough priority for SSEC to do..without special
>funding, that is.

I think that the problem is one of not enough warm bodies.

>Anyway..I thought I'd ask.

Sorry, I wish I had something to give you.

>Thanks,

No worries.