20050514: could not get the McIDAS shell programs (cont.)

>From: "Mekonnen Gebremichael" <address@hidden>

Hi Mekonnen,

>Thanks for your help!

No worries.

>The following command seemed to work. I guess the problem earlier was I
>mentioned the entire file name. Anyway, I have attached the data file.
>
>DSSERVE ADD TEST/IMAGES AREA DIRFILE=/mek11/sagres_home/GOESdata/* "Test GOES
>IR image

OK, the problem was that the file name had two periods ('.') in it.

I created a dataset including the file you sent to test the image's
integrity as follows:

<as 'mcidas'>
cd ~mcidas/workdata
mkdir globir
cd globir
cp ~support/globir.02182.0015 .
mcenv -f 1@700x1200
dsserve.k ADD GLOBIR/AREA AREA DIRFILE=/home/mcidas/workdata/globir/globir.\*
\"Global IR composte images

I then tested the image using IMGLIST:

imglist.k GLOBIR/AREA.1 FORM=ALL
Image file directory listing for:GLOBIR/AREA
 Pos Satellite/         Date       Time      Center      Res (km)   Image_Size
     sensor                                 Lat  Lon    Lat   Lon
 --- -------------  ------------  --------  ---- ----  ----- ----- ------------
   1  G-8 IMG        1 JUL 02182  00:15:00     5  110
   Band: 4    No Information Available                 13.93 13.93  1310 x 2852
     proj:    0 created: 2002182  10838  memo: RT MSAT MA
     type:VISR     cal type:BRIT
     offsets:  data=     768 navigation=  256 calibration=    0 auxiliary=    0
     doc length:   0   cal length:   0   lev length:   0 PREFIX=   0
     valcod:          0 zcor:  0 avg-smp: N
     start yyddd: 2001353  start time:193000  start scan: 2500
     lcor:  272  ecor: -9964  bytes per pixel: 1  ss: 70
     Resolution Factors (base=1):   Line=   14.0   Element=   14.0
imglist.k: done

I see that the image size is 1310x2852 and that this accounts for the file
size:

1310x2852 = 3736120

When you add the size of the image header and audit comments, the size is the
same.  So, the README file's suggestion that there were multiple images per
file was incorrect.

Furthermore, I note that the image is indeed single banded.  When an image
only contains a single band, you do not have to include the BAND= keyword
in McIDAS commands that do something (e.g., list, display, etc.) the
iamge.

The next thing I did was load the image into the single frame I created
in the 'mcenv' invocation and create a GIF out of it:

imgdisp.k GLOBIR/AREA.1 MAG=-2
map.k SAT
frmsave.k 1 mekonnen.gif

The results of this can be seen at:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/content/staff/tom/gifs/mekonnen.gif

As you will notice, the image is black.  To verify that the image you
sent has no data in it, I used the IMGPROBE command:

imgprobe.k LIST BOX DAT=GLOBIR/AREA.1 MODE=N LATLON=5 110 PLACE=C SIZE=600 600

The listing from this showed only zero for brightnesses.  It would
seem, therefore, that this image has no data in it.

>Some more follow-up questions...
>
>(1) Upon executing this command:
>IMGDISP TEST/IMAGES.1 BAND=4
>I found the following error message: "IMGDISP: stretch table specified in
>SU= does not exist on server"
>QUESTION: how to overcome this problem?

I did not get this message.  I have seen the message in the past, and I
believe that it indicates a problem with the McIDAS build on your
machine.

Please try the following to see if you can display images from a remote
ADDE server:

<as 'mcidas'>

** before starting your McIDAS session **

setenv MCCOMPRESS GZIP          <- assumes that you have port 112 access through
                                   your firewall

mcidas                          <- start a McIDAS session

DATALOC ADD RTIMAGES atm.geo.nsf.gov   <- point at an ADDE server on
atm.geo.nsf.gov
                                          for the dataset whose group name is
                                          RTIMAGES

DSINFO IMAGE RTIMAGES                  <- see what descriptors are in RTIMAGES

Your listing should be:

        Dataset Names of Type: IMAGE in Group: RTIMAGES

Name         NumPos   Content
------------ ------   --------------------------------------
ANTARCTIC       10    Antarctic IR Composite
EDFLOATER-I     10    Educational Floater
EDFLOATER-II    10    Educational Floater II
GE-39           10    GOES-East 3.9 um IR
GE-CO2          10    GOES-East 13.0 um IR
GE-IR           10    GOES-East North America IR
GE-IRTOPO       10    GOES-East IR/TOPO Composite
GE-VIS          10    GOES-East North America VIS
GE-VISTOPO      10    GOES-East VIS/TOPO Composite
GE-WV           10    GOES-East North America H2O
GEW-IR          10    GOES-East/West IR Composite
GEW-IRTOPO      10    GOES-East/West IR/TOPO Composite
GEW-VIS         10    GOES-East/West VIS Composite
GEW-VISTOPO     10    GOES-East/West VIS/TOPO Composite
GEW-WV          10    GOES-East/West H2O Composite
GW-12           10    GOES-West 12.0 um IR
GW-39           10    GOES-West 3.9 um IR
GW-IR           10    GOES-West Western US IR
GW-IRTOPO       10    GOES-West IR/TOPO Composite
GW-VIS          10    GOES-West Western US VIS
GW-VISTOPO      10    GOES-West VIS/TOPO Composite
GW-WV           10    GOES-West Western US H2O
MDR             10    Manually Digitized Radar
MDRTOPO         10    MDR/TOPO Composite
MOLL-IR         10    Mollweide Composite IR
MOLL-IRTOPO     10    Mollweide IR/TOPO Composite
MOLL-WV         10    Mollweide Composite H2O
RESFLOATER      10    Research Floater

DSINFO -- done

Next, list out the images in the RTIMAGES dataset:

IMGLIST RTIMAGES/GE-IR.ALL

This listing should look like:

Image file directory listing for:RTIMAGES/GE-IR
 Pos Satellite/         Date       Time      Center   Band(s)
     sensor                                 Lat  Lon
 --- -------------  ------------  --------  ---- ---- ------------
   1  G-12 IMG      14 MAY 05134  17:45:00     0   72 4
   2  G-12 IMG      14 MAY 05134  18:15:00     0   72 4
   3  G-12 IMG      14 MAY 05134  18:45:00     0   72 4
   4  G-12 IMG      14 MAY 05134  19:15:00     0   72 4
   5  G-12 IMG      14 MAY 05134  19:45:00     0   72 4
   6  G-12 IMG      14 MAY 05134  20:15:00     0   72 4
   7  G-12 IMG      14 MAY 05134  20:45:00     0   72 4
   8  G-12 IMG      14 MAY 05134  16:15:00     0   72 4
   9  G-12 IMG      14 MAY 05134  16:45:00     0   72 4
  10  G-12 IMG      14 MAY 05134  17:15:00     0   72 4
imglist.k: done

Now, display the most recent image in the set:

IMGDISP RTIMAGES/GE-IR               <- if the position number is not specified,
                                        the most recent image will be displayed.

Does this work?  If not, do you get the same message about a stretch tabke
not existing on the server?  If yes, there is a problem with your build.

Before being able to move on to the 2) will need to figure out exactly
why your build is misbehaving.  I could login and take a look if you
would like.  In order to do this I would need login as your 'mcidas'
user.

(2) I would like to produce an ascii file that contains the subset of this
image over the US, but it is not clear from the Learning Guide how to do
this. I would appreciate your insight into this.

The steps I would use are:

- create an output dataset of type AREA into which you can wite images.
  I would use the default MYDATA/IMAGES dataset since there is a McIDAS
  BATCH file that will create the dataset for you:

BATCH MYDATA.BAT

  This will create a dataset with group name MYDATA with 4 descriptors:

  MYDATA/IMAGES
  MYDATA/GRIDS
  MYDATA/PTSRCS
  MYDATA/TOPO

  You will be interested in using the MYDATA/IMAGES dataset.

- create a new image that contains the coverage you want using IMGCOPY.
  Here is one example of how to do this:

IMGCOPY TEST/IMAGES.1 MYDATA/IMAGES.3000 LATLON=30 100 SIZE=600 800

  This will result in the extraction of a sector of 600 lines by 800
  elements centered on 30N and 100W.  The new sector will be written
  into AREA3000.  AREA3000 should be located in your ~mcidas/workdata
  directory.

  You will need to adjust the LATLON= center Latitude and Longitude
  to what you want and the SIZE= to the size you want to get the
  coverage you desire.

- write the ASCII values from the newly created image sector out to
  disk files using AXFORM.  Here is an example:

AXFORM 3000 mekonnen FTYPE=ASC

  This will result in the creation of the files mekonnen.* in the
  McIDAS working directory which will be ~mcidas/workdata if you
  are doing all of this as the user 'mcidas'.

Please read through the online help for the various commands listed
above to learn more about how to use them:

HELP BATCH
HELP IMGCOPY
HELP AXFORM

>Thank you,
No worries.

>p.s. feel free to post this and all other transactions on the online
>tracking.

OK, thanks.  This will be useful for users in the future.