20050121: Problem with PATH command

>From: Owen Cooper <address@hidden>

Hi Owen,

>Have there been some changes to the PATH command in the new Mcidas X
>release?

No, the PATH source code has remained unchanged for several distributions.

>In the past whenever I created a new PATH I didn't seem to ever have to
>worry about the PATHFIND file.
>Mcidas just always seemed to find it in my mcidas/data directory.
>
>Now when I type:
>PATH MAKE P3_0818
>it tells me it can't find  PATHFIND

I just ran this on both a Sun Solaris 5.9 SPARC and Fedora Core 1 Linux
system and got a different message:

/home/mcidas/workdata% path.k MAKE P3_0818
path.k: P3_0818 created.
path.k: MAKE P3_0818 CURsor finished.

This created the PATHFIND file in my McIDAS working directory:

/home/mcidas/workdata% dir
total 323324
    291106 drwxrwxr-x   8 ustaff     13312 Jan 24 02:18 .
    291825 -rw-rw-r--   1 ustaff      4216 Jan 24 02:18 ALLOC.WWW
    291279 -rw-rw-r--   1 ustaff      8192 Jan 24 02:18 PATHFIND

Is it possible that your McIDAS working directory, the first directory
specified in the MCPATH environment variable that is defined when you
run PATH, is not writable by you?

>so I tried this
>REDIRECT ADD *.PTH  "/home/ocooper/ICARTT04/Mcidas2
>
>hoping that it would make a PATHFIND-type file when I next call PATH
>
>so then I tried:
>
>PATH MAKE P3_0818 FILE=ICARTT.PTH
>PATH: P3_0818 created.
>PATH: MAKE P3_0818 FILE=ICARTT.PTH CURsor finished.
>PATH ADD P3_0818    1 43.06   70.81 "
>PATH: Bad pointers in GETCEL - path point can't be added.
>            NW=12          NXTAVL=1002        IW= -1266146560
>PATH: Error when trying to make new path P3_0818
>PATH: ADD P3_0818 terminated.

I ran the ADD action on the same 5.9 system and got:

/home/mcidas/workdata% path.k ADD P3_0818 1 43.06 70.81 \"
   1)  LAT =   43:03:36  LON =   70:48:36
path.k: ADD P3_0818 finished.

What system are you running PATH on?  Perhaps the failure is related
to a build on some other OS?

>I tried accessing the PATh help file on the Mcidas website but I got an
>error message when I clicked on PATH under "Commands by alphabetical order"

Sorry for that.  I found and fixed the problem in finding the online
help for PATH in the User Guide.

>Any ideas?

The only thing I can think of is some sort of OS related issue, or
some sort of directory permission problem.  As I mentioned above, the
same test as you ran on both a Solaris SPARC and Fedora Core Linux
system were successful.

>thanks

Sorry for the problems...