20050121: Unidata McIDAS-XCD Trouble (cont.)

>From: "James T. Brown" <address@hidden>

Hi Jim,

I finally got back onto accas to try and troubleshoot why the XCD
routines are not decoding correctly.  When I noticed that your previous
build had used the gcc/g77 compiler combination and that you had not
included defines for things like CC, CFLAGS, etc. in your 'mcidas'
.cshrc file, I decided to include the needed defines and redo the
build.  By the way, the needed environmental defines can be found in
the online Unidata McIDAS Users Guide at:

http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/software/mcidas/2004/users_guide/PreparingthemcidasAccount.html

re:
>Thanks for the tip on saving the NNEXRAD.CFG file to a local
>copy.  I will be sure to follow-up with your suggestion.

Sounds good.

>One thing that I was a little bit concerned with during the initial
>installation is the LDM and ADDE are running on two different machines.
>The ADDE is referencing data (/data/mcidas) which is mounted over the
>network using NFS/Automount.

This should not be a significant problem, but it will slow down things
a bit.

>I suspect there would be quicker access
>if the "/data/mcidas" was a local partition on the ADDE server machine,

Yes.

>but didn't there would be a problem with my current setup.

There shouldn't be a problem with your current setup.  I am hoping
that a rebuild using all needed environment variable defines will do
the trick.

>Thanks again for all your help.   Feel free to stop/start the LDM if
>needed, especially if it will help solve the trouble.

I stopped the LDM while building McIDAS on accas.  I will turn it back
on after the build is finished and installed.  I will also be
recreating all of the files needed for XCD to run (i.e., the ones that
get created by XCD.BAT and XCDDEC.BAT).  Hopefully there will be viable
MD files in /data/mcidas when you get into work later today.

One thing that I have noticed while working on both pileaus and accas
is that things are pretty slow given the hardware that you are
running.  I would have expected the McIDAS build to take only a few
minutes (like it does on our Sun Solaris 5.9 SPARC machine), but it is
taking way more than that.