20050120: McIDAS-X build

>From: "Luis A. Lopez" <address@hidden>

Hi Luis,

>  Happy new year!!

Happy New Year to you also!  It is hard to believe that over three months
have gone by since you were in Boulder.  How can we make time run slower!?

>     We finally received the new computer that will be running Mcidas, so I
>can continue with the project.  I'm running mcinstall and got this error
>
>./mcinstall: line 93: syntax error near unexpected token `('
>./mcinstall: line 93: `echo "  o run:   'make xcd'   (McIDAS-XCD must be
>built AFTER McIDAS-X)"'

This is very strange indeed since the line simply echos an instruction
to the shell, and all of the text to be written is sorrounded by shifted
quotes.  The good news is that everything after this point in mcinstall
is simply commentary.  You can safely proceed to the next step in building
the distribution:

<as 'mcidas'>
./mcinstall      <- you are here
cd ~mcidas/mcidas2004/src
make
 -- or --
make VENDOR=-g77
 -- or --
make all
 -- or --
make all VENDOR=-g77

>I have done the step 3 times, checked all variables and all of them seem to
>have the correct value. I searched the mailing lists but found no answer.
>The box is a Red Hat9 Linux.  The shell of mcidas is bash. As always, thank
>you for your help.

I do not know what to tell you about the error you are seeing other than
to say that it is not important and will not keep you from proceeding with
the build.  Since we no longer have a RedHat 9 system here at Unidata, I
will be unable to look further into the error (unless you give me the
'mcidas' login on your machine); sorry.

>Say Hi to your helper at UNIDATA (sorry I forgot her
>name).  Have a nice day.

I will relay your greeting.

On a different subject: have you had an opportunity to talk to folks
at UPRM about the possibility of assuming a more prominent role in
real time data distribution in the Caribbean?  I am still quite eager
to see UPRM play this leading and important role.

>From address@hidden  Thu Jan 20 10:27:04 2005

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 09:02:33 -0700, Unidata Support wrote

Thanks for your answer.

> Happy New Year to you also!  It is hard to believe that over three months
> have gone by since you were in Boulder.  How can we make time run slower!?

Beleive it or not there is a stupid guy in Puerto Rico saying that a huge
Tsunami will take place soon that will rotate the earth axes 180 degrees
(I'm still laughing!!); maybe this will slow the rotation of the planet: ja
ja ja!!!

> On a different subject: have you had an opportunity to talk to folks
> at UPRM about the possibility of assuming a more prominent role in
> real time data distribution in the Caribbean?  I am still quite eager
> to see UPRM play this leading and important role.
>
> Cheers,

I laready talked to some of them, but the guy that is running the climate
Center (or use to be running) is in DC working wfor NSF an will return on
August.  Any way I'll continue with the installation of Mcidas as a
distribution Center, I know they will agree (hope that).  I did not
configured Mcidas like that because it is running on a temporary computer,
but as soon as I move everything to our new computer I'll continue with the
project as we discussed in Boulder.

By the way, this command is sill not working:

wxtlist.k APRO=SWR ASTN=PR|grep -v wxtlist.k

Thank you Tom

Luis A. Lopez, MBA
Department of Mathematics
University of Puerto Rico
Mayaguez Campus
e_mail:address@hidden
http://math.uprm.edu/~luis
|(:-imagination is more important than knowledge...!|