20041222: 20041221: McIDAS problem -- no map (cont.)

>From: Harry Edmon <address@hidden>

Hi Harry,

>Confusion still reigns (must be because I am 52).

I hear you... I'm 54.

>Can you explain to
>me what the following directories in ~mcidas are "supposed" to be used for:
>
>data

The ~mcidas/data directory is the location for McIDAS ancillary data
files.  Ancillary data files are things like:  map outline files, image
enhancemnts, graphics tables, fonts, etc.  I do not recommend that
users put actual McIDAS data there (e.g., AREA files, MDXX files, GRID
files, etc.).  However, I do deliver McIDAS with several AREA files of
topography imagery, and I put those files in ~mcidas/data.  The overriding
concept here is that the content of ~mcidas/data is almost entirely
controlled by the Unidata McIDAS distribution.

>savedata

The ~mcidas/savedata directory is a directory I created to save the
McIDAS enhancements, stretch tables, etc., etc., that a user might
have _incorrectly_ modified in ~mcidas/data.  I created the directory
to give the users one last chance to save their work if the went against
my instructions and modified a McIDAS ancillary data file that will
get overwritten upon installation of a new distribution.

>workdata

The ~mcidas/workdata directory is used as the working directory of the
user 'mcidas' for Unidata McIDAS.  For all users other than 'mcidas',
their working directory is set to ~/mcidas/data.  I use the ~mcidas/workdata
directory as a location to write files that 'mcidas' will need access to,
but will be hidden from other users.

>Is this in the documentation somewhere?

Yes.  It is in the Unidata McIDAS web pages:

http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/software/mcidas/2004/users_guide/BuildingandInstallingMcIDAS-X2004.html