20041217: that pesky seam when combining images with IMGREMAP (cont.)

>From: Unidata Support <address@hidden>

Hi Owen,

OK, I'm back.  SSEC just sent me an acknowledgement of the missing
element slice problem; a fix that they are testing to make sure
it doesn't break something else; and a workaround.

I tested their code mod (fix) and it works fine for the example you
sent along.  I don't know if the mod breaks anything else, but I
suspect that it does not.

Here it is if you want to try it before it comes out in an addendum:

>1263,1266c1263,1266
<          smnline = MAX( smnline, 1)
<          smnelem = MAX( smnelem, 1)
<          smxline = MIN( smxline, save_sdirectory(IMGDIR_LINPOS) )
<          smxelem = MIN( smxelem, save_sdirectory(IMGDIR_ELEPOS) )
>---
>          smnline = MAX( smnline, 0)
>          smnelem = MAX( smnelem, 0)
>          smxline = MIN( smxline, save_sdirectory(IMGDIR_LINPOS)-1 )
>          smxelem = MIN( smxelem, save_sdirectory(IMGDIR_ELEPOS)-1 )
>1975,1976c1975,1976
<        zl = (zl-slin) * zsincl + 1.0
<        ze = (ze-sele) * zsince + 1.0
>---
>        zl = (zl-slin) * zsincl
>        ze = (ze-sele) * zsince

The workaround that they suggest using, is to substitute an IMGOPER
command for the IMGREMAP that combines images.  Here is the mod
for the first IMGREMAP MERGE=YES invocation:

change:

IMGREMAP MYDATA/IMAGES.136 MYDATA/IMAGES.137 SMOOTH=NO MERGE=YES PRO=DEST

to:

IMGOPER MYDATA/IMAGES.136 MYDATA/IMAGES.137 MYDATA/IMAGES.138 FORM=CMIN
ZERO=DATA SIZE=960 3568

I think I incorporated their IMGOPER recommendation into your original
IMGREMAP step, but I may be off since I sent them a slightly altered
BATCH script (different dataset names, different dataset positions, etc.)
that they could run to see the problem.  If I didn't transliterate
correctly, you might need to play a bit.

I would recommend making the code mod to ~mcidas/mcidas2004/src/imgremap.pgm
and then building a new executable:

<as 'mcidas'>
cd ~mcidas/mcidas2004/src
<edit imgremap.pgm>
make imgremap.k             <- may need to modify with VENDOR=-g77 depending
                               on if you are using gcc/g77 compilers
rm ~/bin/imgremap.k
ln imgremap.k ~/bin

>From address@hidden  Fri Dec 17 16:38:57 2004

Tom,

Great, thank you very much for the fix info. Hsie wants to install the
latest version of Mcidas before I start rebuilding code. So as soon as
he gets it installed (within the next couple of days) I will try the fix
and will  also rebuild the IMGPROBE command that will allow me to output
a text array greater than 524,288K (you gave me the fix for this a week
or so ago).

As always, thank you for your very prompt feedback and I'll let you know
how it goes.

All the best,

Owen