20041104: McIDAS problem -- no map

>From: David Ovens <address@hidden>

Hi David,

>Beginning a few hours ago, we've started losing the maps on our
>satellite imagery GIF files that are generated by the LDM from the
>Wisonsin MCIDAS area files.  The errors in the log file show:
>
>map.k: NO IMAGE OR NO NAVIGATION FOR FRAME
>
>I created this simple mcenv script:
>
>mcenv << EOF
>imgdisp.k MYDATA/IMAGES.177 1 EU=IMAGE SU=IRTEMP
>map.k SAT 6 LALO -8 INT=20 20
>frmsave.k 1 3.9-w.gif FORM=GIF
>EOF

I hope that prior to this in your script you completely define environment
variables needed to run McIDAS programs.  The environment variables needed
are MCPATH, and MCTABLE_READ.  Also, the first directory in your MCPATH
should be your usual McIDAS working directory.  I have users define this
in the environment variable MCDATA and then have them define MCPATH to
read:

MCPATH=${MCDATA}:/home/mcidas/data:/home/mcidas/help

>When I run this as myself, the map appears, no problem, though I do
>see an 'stty' error message:
>
>136 frosty% source testit
>stty: standard input: Inappropriate ioctl for device
>Beginning Image Data transfer, bytes= 617456
>IMGDISP: loaded frame  1
>imgdisp.k: done
>EU: Done
>MAP: Completed frame 1
>Frame saved in /home/disk/blizzard2/ovens/mcidas/data/3.9-w.gif

I am guessing that the shell you use is the C shell. If yes, you
have some problem in your .cshrc settings that is causing the
'stty: standard input' error.

>But if I run as user 'mcidas', on air (SunOS 5.9) we see this:
>
>air> source testit
> cannot locate string names - rerun setup.
> cannot locate string names - rerun setup.
> cannot locate string names - rerun setup.
> cannot locate string names - rerun setup.
> cannot locate string names - rerun setup.
>Beginning Image Data transfer, bytes= 617456
> cannot locate string names - rerun setup.
> cannot locate string names - rerun setup.
> cannot locate string names - rerun setup.
> cannot locate string names - rerun setup.
> cannot locate string names - rerun setup.
>imgdisp.k: Failed to write nav for frame  1
> cannot locate string names - rerun setup.
>IMGDISP: loaded frame  1
>imgdisp.k: done
>EU: Done
> cannot locate string names - rerun setup.
> cannot locate string names - rerun setup.
> cannot locate string names - rerun setup.
>map.k: NO IMAGE OR NO NAVIGATION FOR FRAME
> cannot locate string names - rerun setup.
>frmsave.k: error writing output file
>
>Can you help, please?

This most likely indicates that:

- the set of environment variables needed to run McIDAS is not set
  or set correctly in the 'mcidas' account and/or in your script

 -- or --

- your McIDAS environment has a REDIRECTion that points to the file
  SYSKEY.TAB and it can't be found or is zero length

 -- and/or --

- your McIDAS string table file STRTABLE can not be found or is damaged

Any chance I could take a quick look at the 'mcidas' environment setup?

>Thanks,

No worries.