20041013: help with building McIDAS-X v2004 on Sun Solaris 8

>From: "Luis A. Lopez" <address@hidden>

Hi Luis,

>I'm almost ready with the compilation.  Now I'm unable to colpile hdf
>libraries

Problems building the various packages that are include with McIDAS
(e.g., netCDF, hdf, zlib, etc.) typically are caused by not defining
needed environment variables -- and making them active -- before starting
a build.  In particular, a number of folks have run into problems when
they start a build, get an error, define needed environment variables,
and then resume the build from the point it left off.  The problem with
this is that the configure scripts for the various packages are fun at
the beginning of the make process, so the Makefile(s) that those processes
created may still be in error.  The solution for this situation is:

<as 'mcidas'>

cd mcidas2004/src
make clobber

cd ~mcidas
<define needed environment variables in whichever Shell definition file
you are using (e.g., .cshrc, .bash_profile, .profile, etc.)>
source .cshrc
  -- or --
. .profile
  -- or --
. .bash_profile

cd mcidas2004/src
make
  -- or --
make all

>I'm getting this error
>
>ld: fatal: library -lmfhdf: not found
>ld: fatal: library -ludport: not found
>ld: fatal: File processing errors. No output written to airsadir

This sounds like the hdf libraries were not built before they were
referenced for use.

>If I go to the path where hdf is located and try to make manually, I get this
>error
>
>making `all' in directory /usr/mcidas/mcidas2004/hdf/mfhdf/libsrc
>
>/bin/rm .c
>.c: No such file or directory
>*** Error code 2
>make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `.l'
>Current working directory /usr/mcidas/mcidas2004/hdf/mfhdf/libsrc
>*** Error code 1
>make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `all'
>Current working directory /usr/mcidas/mcidas2004/hdf/mfhdf/libsrc
>*** Error code 1
>make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `libsrc/all'
>
>Thank you for your help (I'm compiling on SUN Box with Solaris 8, I used to
>compile mcidas2003 a couple of months ago).

Since Solaris 8 is a standard testing platform here at the UPC, I am
betting that that the needed set of environment variables was not set
before the make started for the first time.  Can you send me a the
listing from 'env'?  This would tell me if you have all of the
environment varibles set that you need.

Which variables need to be set are listed in:

http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/software/mcidas/2004/users_guide/PreparingthemcidasAccount.html

>|(:-imagination is more important than knowledge...!|

I agree 100% !!

>From address@hidden  Wed Oct 13 16:09:30 2004

Thank you Tom:

  Variables were OK, I checked all of them before the compiling, the error o
the ../hdf/Makefile, it contains a wrong switch in CFLAGS variable (-Xc -XO2),
this should read only

CFLAGS=-O2

for solaris.

make clober helped also on claering the previous attempt to compile.  Thanks
again. now mcidas is working.  It seems that should be compiling mcidas for
the ethernity (that's because of temporaly solutions until we receive the
server that finally will hold mcidas).

Luis