20040928: McIDAS - UALIST doesn't list all SIG levels? (cont.)

>From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Christian_Pag=E9?= <address@hidden>

Hi Christian,

>Any progress on this issue? Many thanks,

Thanks for reminding me about this!

Looking through the past email exchanges, I am reminded that you are
trying to use UALIST to list out both mandatory and significant level
upper air data for stations in France (and, perhaps, others?).
Please correct me if I am wrong...

The McIDAS-XCD upper air decoder needs to be told which countries
should have both mandatory and significant level upper air data
decoded.  The default in the code distributed by SSEC is to decode
significant level data only for US and Canadian stations.

When I prepare a Unidata McIDAS distribution, I increase the list of
countries for which significant level data will be decoded from the two
in standard McIDAS (US and Canada) to a list of countries in the
western hemisphere:

AN - NETHERLANDS ANTILLES
AQ - ANTARCTICA
AR - ARGENTINA
BB - BARBADOS
BM - BERMUDA
BO - BOLIVIA
BR - BRAZIL
BS - BAHAMAS
BZ - BELIZE
CA - CANADA
CL - CHILE
CO - COLOMBIA
CR - COSTA RICA
CU - CUBA
DO - DOMINICAN REPUBLIC
EC - ECUADOR
GF - FRENCH GUIANA
GP - GUADELOUPE
GT - GUATEMALA
HN - HONDURAS
JM - JAMAICA
KY - CAYMAN ISLANDS
MX - MEXICO
NI - NICARAGUA
PA - PANAMA
PE - PERU
PR - PUERTO RICO
PY - PARAGUAY
TT - TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO
US - UNITED STATES
VE - VENEZUELA

You are not stuck with my decision, however.

The end user can set which countries to decode significant level
data for by running SIGCO from a McIDAS session as the user 'mcidas' on
the workstation running the LDM and McIDAS-XCD decoders:

<as 'mcidas'>
cd ~/workdata
sigco.k LIST

The output from 'sigco.k LIST' should look like the following on your
machine:

      Significant levels are saved for the following countries:
      AN    AQ    AR    BB    BM    BO    BR    BS    BZ    CA
      CL    CO    CR    CU    DO    EC    GF    GP    GT    HN
      JM    KY    MX    NI    PA    PE    PR    PY    TT    US
      VE

sigco.k: Done

(assuming that you are running v2004).

If you want to decode significant level datga for France, you would run
the following SIGCO invocation:

sigco.k ADD FR

Alternatively, you can tell your McIDAS-XCD decoder to decode the
significant level data for all countries with the following
invocation:

sigco.k ADD ALL

To learn what the two-letter country codes McIDAS needs for commands
like SIGCO, use the CCODE command.  Here is an example:

ccode.k FRANCE

CCODE will list all 2-letter country codes if it is not given a
command line parameter:

ccode.k

After you add FR to the list of countries for which significant level
data will be decoded, and after the next upper air reporting period,
you should start seeing significant level data listed in your UALIST
invocations.

>From address@hidden  Wed Sep 29 07:57:30 2004

Hi Tom,

Thank you very much for your reply. It works well now!! I just add to
use sigco.k ADD with the countries I wanted.

Regards,

Christian Pagé
UQAM