20040921: McIDAS in a new acct (cont.)

>From:  mynul khan <address@hidden>

Hi Mynul,

>compress is found at /usr/bin/uncompress,
>I did also change setenv MCCOMPRESS TRUE to setenv
>MCCOMPRESS GZIP. But still its unable to show any
>images.

OK.  This is very strange indeed.

>please login to the user  and see if you can find
>anything.

OK.  I logged on as the user and was able to run McIDAS prorams from
the command line with no problems other than /usr/openwin/bin not
being in the PATH (but this may be a minor thing).

In order to investigate why you can't see images, I need to be able to
open an X connection back to my machine here at Unidata.  I tried to
tunnel X through ssh, but this is turned off on your machine:

/etc/ssh/sshd_config:

# X11 tunneling options
X11Forwarding no

This will need to be changed to:

# X11 tunneling options
X11Forwarding yes

and then sshd will need to be stopped and restarted.

>I very much appreciate your help.

No worries.  This now has me very intrigued especially since I am able
to do routine McIDAS things like list and copy images from the user's
account:

<as the user in question>

meteor% cd ~/mcidas/data
meteor% dataloc.k LIST

Group Name                    Server IP Address
--------------------         ----------------------------------------
AMRC                         UWAMRC.SSEC.WISC.EDU
BLIZZARD                     METEOR.STCLOUDSTATE.EDU
CIMSS                        METEOR.STCLOUDSTATE.EDU
GINICOMP                     PAPAGAYO.UNL.EDU
GINIEAST                     PAPAGAYO.UNL.EDU
GINIWEST                     PAPAGAYO.UNL.EDU
GOESEAST                     PAPAGAYO.UNL.EDU
ME7                          IO.SCA.UQAM.CA
MYDATA                       <LOCAL-DATA>
NEXRCOMP                     METEOR.STCLOUDSTATE.EDU
RTGRIDS                      PAPAGAYO.UNL.EDU
RTIMAGES                     METEOR.STCLOUDSTATE.EDU
RTNEXRAD                     METEOR.STCLOUDSTATE.EDU
RTPTSRC                      METEOR.STCLOUDSTATE.EDU
RTWXTEXT                     METEOR.STCLOUDSTATE.EDU
TOPO                         <LOCAL-DATA>

<LOCAL-DATA> indicates that data will be accessed from the local data directory.
DATALOC -- done
meteor% imglist.k RTIMAGES/GW-IR
Image file directory listing for:RTIMAGES/GW-IR
 Pos Satellite/         Date       Time      Center   Band(s)
     sensor                                 Lat  Lon
 --- -------------  ------------  --------  ---- ---- ------------
  58  G-10 IMG      21 SEP 04265  19:00:00    24  137 4
imglist.k: done

meteor% imgcopy.k RTIMAGES/GW-IR MYDATA/IMAGES.2000 SIZE=ALL
Beginning Image Data transfer, bytes= 2439056
Transferring AREA data outbound, bytes= 2439136
IMGCOPY: RTIMAGES/GW-IR.58 copied to MYDATA/IMAGES.2000
imgcopy.k: done

meteor% ls -alt AREA*
-rw-rw-r--   1 tonyh    met      2439136 Sep 21 14:16 AREA2000

So, a failure to display the image may well be something very
peculiar (as you have been saying since doing the same stuff
out of the student account works fine).

Again, I have seen nothing in the way you setup things that would
lead to the problems you are seeing!