20040826: Mcidas ADDE Group Names

>From: "Frederick R. Mosher" <address@hidden>

Hi Fred,

Tom Yoksas here...

>I am new Professor at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University.  Previously I
>was with the NWS at the Aviation Weather Center (AWC) where I was the
>satellite focal point and made heavy use of Mcidas satellite data.

When did you make the move from the AWC to ERAU?  Are you in Datona Beach
or the Arizona branch of ERAU?

>I want
>to start setting up Mcidas processing here for some of the data sets that
>previously I had made available to the AWC forecasters.  These would include
>brightness normalized visible images with the fog images inserted into the
>night time areas. Also I want to install my global mosaics, my convective
>diagnostic algorithm, and several volcanic ash algorithms. I will need ADDE
>group names where I can access data. What is the Unidata ADDE names, and do
>you know of other sites that allow university ADDE access?

There is a set of cooperating communtiy server sites that allow general
access to local data holdings through ADDE.  Please review:

Unidata HomePage
http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/

  McIDAS
  http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/software/mcidas/index.html

    Publically Accessible McIDAS ADDE servers
    http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/software/mcidas/adde_servers.html

In addition to the sites listed, there are two datasets that are
accessible through a Unidata ADDE server at SSEC:

EAST - GOES-East
WEST - GOES-West

At some point I hope to setup a dataset hosted either on
unidata2.ssec.wisc.edu or adde.ucar.edu that contains Meteosat data,
but that is in the future.

I would recommend that you pursue access to the SATEPS servers since
you should be able to get access to all of the platforms they serve,
and this includes both GOES-East and West, Meteosat (including the bird
near India), and polar orbiters.  The mechanism to be pursued is
contacting Brian Hughes of SATEPS (you should know Brian from MUG meetings)
and working your way through the "paper work" to get access for ERAU.
Brian now issues most of the notices through the NOAAPORT admin
messages about GOES maneuvers, eclipse periods, etc.  If you are not
already subscribed to our nws-changes email list, now might be a
good time to do so:

>I am most
>interested in GOES-east and west, Japanese, European (prefer Met-8), and
>Indian Ocean (Met-5) data as often as it is available. Later I will work on
>getting some of the polar and NASA satellite data available.

I am hopeful that you will be willing to add ERAU to the list of
Unidata community cooperating ADDE servers once you get things rolling.
Please let me know how I can help!

Cheers,

Tom Yoksas

>From address@hidden  Fri Aug 27 06:54:06 2004

Thanks for the information.  I am at the Daytona Beach ERAU campus. I got
here two weeks ago, just in time for Hurricane Charley. Classes start next
Monday.  I have two classes of Introduction to Meteorology, each with 60
students, and one class of Weather Analysis.  Once I get the satellite data
processing set up here, I will be glad to share the data with other
locations.