20040811: McIDAS 2004 build problem

>From: Mark Tucker <address@hidden>

Mark,

>I've run into a problem building mcidasx2004 on Slackware Linux.  gcc/g77
>3.3.4, make 3.80.  The build seems to progress normally until it builds
>nowradir.o.

>This build was done in an existing mcidas2003 installation directory so
>I'm pretty sure the environment is setup correctly.  Here is the tail from
>makelog:
>
>-----------SNIP-------------------------------------
>compile nowradir.c:             done
>./mccomp -O -s -vendor -o nowradir nowradir.o -L. -lsdi -lmcidas
>mccomp: Using default optimizations
>g77 -s -O -o nowradir nowradir.o -L. -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lsdi -lmcidas -ldl -lm
>nowradir.o(.text+0x55b): In function `main':
>: undefined reference to `SelectNOWradImages'
>nowradir.o(.text+0x5f5): In function `main':
>: undefined reference to `GetNOWradDirs'
>collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>link    nowradir:               FAILED
>-----------SNIP-------------------------------------

This seems to be the exact same problem you ran into when building
the v2003 version of McIDAS: there is a bug in the Slackware 9 version
of make that causes it to _not_ add all of the object files it is
supposed to in ~mcidas/mcidas2004/src/libsdi.a.

If this, in fact, the problem, the solution would be:

<as 'mcidas'>
cd ~/mcidas2004/src

touch calb11.o msgadir.o msgaget.o msgtadir2.o msgtaget2.o swap2.o BitUtil.o
Bk11Data.o crc16.o GVAR.o m0tenoff.o m0twelveoff.o MSAT.o NCDF.o giniutil.o
nexrutil.o POES.o SDIConv.o SDIUtil.o servutil.o TIP.o

make libsdi.a

After remaking libsdi.a, the build proceeded normally:

make mcx           <- or whatever 'make' invocation you had originally

>I have placed the entire makelog and the mcidas user's .cshrc at
>http://apollo.lsc.vsc.edu/metadmin/mcidas_stuff.

If my guess is correct, I won't need to see this.

>I can provide login access to the machine if that would be helpful.  I
>could not find anything that appeared to be related in the glimpse search.

I used 'tucker' as the search key in our online inquiry search and came
up with a couple of links that were pertinent:

http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/cgi-bin/getfile?file=/content/support/help/MailArchives/mcidas/msg02606.html

http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/cgi-bin/getfile?file=/content/support/help/MailArchives/mcidas/msg02427.html

I note that another exchange with Steve Ochani showed that he was able
to get an updated 'make' for his Linux distribution, SuSE 9.0.

>Any help on this would be appreciated.

Try the what I suggest above and let me know the results.

>Thanks.

No worries.

>From address@hidden  Thu Aug 12 04:08:21 2004

Tom,

I "touched" the object files as you suggested and rebuild libsdi.a but the
make process fails at the same point it did before.  I did recall the
problem with libsdi.a but this doesn't quite match the same problem
(although I wouldn't be surprised to find that it is a similar problem).
I downloaded the previous version of make (3.79.1) from gnu.org and
compiled it for the mcidas user's account.  Mcidas seems to have built
without any errors this time.  I'll run the tests tomorrow (when I'm not
on dialup) to see if the build is working correctly.

Mark Tucker
Meteorology Dept. Systems Administrator
Lyndon State College
http://apollo.lsc.vsc.edu