20040810: More trouble (cont.)

>From: Gilbert Sebenste <address@hidden>

Gilbert,

>look at the permission in /home/httpd/html and /home/ldm on weather3.
>They're all McIDAS. I don't want that!

I think I found the reason that permissions were getting changed in one
directory tree even though the chmod was being executed in another.
The owner of /home was _not_ 'root' (it is now).  Apparently,
when the following was executed:

<as 'root'>
cd /home/ldm
chown -R ldm:users * .*

everyhting under /home/ldm would get changed to ldm:users ownership --
this was what was wanted.  At the same time, everything in and under
/home was also getting changed to ldm:users.  So, in going back and
forth changing the ownership in /home/ldm and /home/mcidas, all
subdirectories of /home were getting changed.  This is how
/home/httpd/... got changed to mcidas:users.

What ownership should /home/httpd/... have?  Now that /home is owned by
'root', it looks like it can be safely changed by root using:

<as 'root'>
cd /home
chown -R user:group httpd

Make sure that you substitute the correct user and group in the last line!!!!!