20040809: McIDAS trouble after replacing defective disk (cont.)

>From: Gilbert Sebenste <address@hidden>

Gilbert,

re: finished update on weathers to v2004

>Cool!

re: no scouring of McIDAS MD, XCD files on weather

>Thanks.

Found a bug already. When you do a mcidas -config, if you do it
>more than one time, it won't save subsequent changes, even if you choose
>"yes" to save.

Which machine(s)?  This works fine for me here at the UPC, so I suspect
that the read/write permissions on the file ~/.mcidasrc are not set
to allow it to be written.  In the extreme, I would recommend deleting
~/.mcidasrc and letting the 'mcidas -config' create a new one.

I just logged onto weather as 'mcidas' and see that .mcidasrc _is_
getting changed:

weather-niu Mci-9> ls -alt .mcidasrc
-rw-rw-r--  1 mcidas users 15031 Aug  9 16:05 .mcidasrc

And, I see specifications that seem to be yours:

-f 24@800x1200
-e 12m

Since .mcidasrc is being updated, its settings should be used the
next time McIDAS is run.

>When you exit McIDAS and restart it, you must do
>mcidas -config again because all your previous settings were lost.

This would happen if ~/.mcidasrc is not writable for some reason.
This appears to not be the case for you.

>This
>stinks because I told it to add 12 MB of RAM for extra frames, and it
>doesn't like it.

I don't know what you are saying here.  What doesn't like it?  When
the session is started is the extra memory available for creating
new frames?  The .mcidasrc file has what look to be the correct
settings.

>Also, the NASA imagery has stopped working. I added the entries back to
>addeimage.core, but they still won't come up.

I would test things out, but I can not ssh to weather or weather3 much
less tunnel X; I can only ssh to weather2.