20040729: problems with SSEC GUI (cont.)

>From: Joe Barrett <address@hidden>

Joe,

>If you startup McIDAS to start with the MCGUI program, then when you type
>'GUI' in Command Mode, then the GUI program tries to start up, but then
>the entire program crashes and everything closes down.

I would expect that something bad would happen if GUI was attempted to
be started from an existing MCGUI session.

>If you startup
>McIDAS to start with the GUI program, then you just get the Command Mode
>and the GUI program won't start up, even if you type in 'GUI' manually.
>Also, you can't start up the MCGUI program manually.  If you startup with
>the MCGUI program and don't type in 'GUI', then the text window and MCGUI
>stay available.

Please try the following method of starting:

mcidas -config

In the interactive startup gui, select the radiobutton that says you
want to run the GUI and then start.  What happens in this case?

>I haven't tried to reinstall the 2003 version.  Since I did an uninstall
>of the 2003 version, would I have to do a 2003 install first then later do
>an uninstall of the 2004 version, to revert back to the 2003 version?

Actually, if you left the build in the ~mcidas/mcidas2003/src directory,
you would be able to:

<as 'mcidas'>
cd mcidas2004/src
make uninstall

cd ~mcidas2003/src
make install

If you wiped out the executables in ~mcidas/mcidas2003, you would
have to build the distribution from source again.  Let's not go there
yet!

>I used the vendor supplied compilers with the recommended settings for
>Solaris, the same as what was used to build the 2003 version.  I believe
>the compilers are from Sun WorkShop 6 update 2.  Some env settings:
>CC = /opt/SUNWspro/bin/cc
>CPPFLAGS = -DNDEBUG
>CFLAGS = -O
>FC = /opt/SUNWspro/bin/f77
>FFLAGS = -O -erroff = WDECL_LOCAL_NOTUSED
>CXX = ""

OK, thanks.

>Yes, you can logon to our system.  I don't know what info you need from us
>for doing that.

Let's wait until you try starting through the 'mcidas -config' action first.

>This is actually my last week officially working for the FSU Meteorology
>department, and the machine where McIDAS is installed is not used
>operationally for teaching and research.  Therefore, Paul Ruscher might not
>want much done with the local installation of McIDAS right now.  We mainly
>installed the program to figure out how to convert Quorum-modified GVAR
>data into data suitable for processing in McIDAS - which we have not been
>successful in doing.

OK.  I sent a note to Paul quite some time ago asking for information
on the format of the data that your Quorum system is writing to disk,
but I have not received that information.