20040722: Unidata McIDAS access

>From: "Robert Dewey" <address@hidden>

Hi Robert,

>I logged on to the Unidata website to download the latest version of McIDAS
>- v. 2004, and I get the following error: "You must be in an educational
>institution to download this software." from the following file:
>http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/downloads/192/mcidasx2004.tar.Z

That is correct.

>I am currently running v. 2003, and wanted to upgrade... Is this package
>only available to Universities now?

The McIDAS distribution has always been restricted to universities.
Unfortunately, there was a hole in our web download procedure that
allowed unaffiliated sites to download McIDAS v2003.  I was contacted
by SSEC to make sure that we tightened up our site so this would not
occur again.

It may be possible to allow you access to McIDAS.  Can you describe
your status "for the record" (e.g., non-profit; for educational use;
etc.)?  I will see what I can do if your fall within a broader context
of who Unidata is allowed to distribute McIDAS to by SSEC.

>Thanks!

No worries.  Sorry for the hassle...