20040708: Decoding Eta Grids (cont.)

>From: address@hidden (Jennie L. Moody)

Hi Jennie,

re: CONDUIT grids
>Well, I understand that its a new feedtype that I currently do not
>decode.  This gives me pause, since I am wondering if windfall can
>handle an additional datastream of GRIDS?

Given the disk situation on windfall, you would need to receive a
small portion of the grids in CONDUIT and then decode them when
you need them.  The reason for not decoding into McIDAS directly
is that the output GRID files are huge for large grids.  Saving the
grib messages off to your mass-store and then decoding just the
ones you will be needing for an investigation is a better approach.

>I am also wondering if its
>just GRIB decoding that is done, regardless of the ingestion through
>CONDUIT or XCD, wouldn't I already have all these grids (and then some)

Two things here: XCD is a set of decoders that you can setup to process
products in one or more IDD datasetreams like HDS or CONDUIT.  CONDUIT
is a stream of grib products.

>..... I just need to figure out if there is a way to pass them as
>binary files to the NASA code.

You could setup your LDM to ingest the grids you need and write the
grib messages to disk.  This is the jist of my recommendation above.
If the NASA code will accept individual grib messages (one field
per product), then you can pass what you ingest to it.

>I guess I don't know enough at this moment to get going.
>
>Hey, the other thing I am trying to do is work with some data files (MD
>files) that Owen has created and posted on his ADDE server (thanks to
>you!) that he wants me to overlay on current specific humidity
>imagery.

Sounds like a good use of ADDE!

>I am just now trying to get my machine to see his data (a
>week behind here).  I'll give a yell if I cannot get this to work.

This should be very easy:

Owen needs to provide you with:

  - name of the machine running a remote ADDE server that he has
    setup to serve the data; access to this machine must be open:
    i.e., not blocked by firewalls, etc.

  - the ADDE group name of the dataset he is maing available

Once you have this information, all you need to do is:

DATALOC ADD <group> <.al.noaa.gov ADDE server hostname>
DSINFO POINT <group>    <- to verify that you can access the server

Once you can see the data through ADDE, all you have to do is use
PTDISP or PTCON to display or contour the data.

>Hey, I owe y'all a big long note....big news is I am moving (this
>Saturday!), Dave and I are combining families...but doing it all in the
>wrong order I suppose.  We move this weekend (before Kyle leaves to
>work in N. Michigan for a month).  We get married on August 21!!!  I
>was planning to send out an electronic copy of the invite/announcement,
>but that is behind schedule too...should have it done next week.   Just
>way too much going on!  But its all good.

Congratulations!  I will spread the good news around the UPC.