20040701: link errors using Sun vendor F77 and cc

>From: Patrick Dills <address@hidden>

Hi Patrick,

>With our UCAR site license, we just re-enabled our vendor compilers for
>our SunOS Sparc workstation running SunOS 5.7.  We are running Unidata
>MCIDAS-X 2003 that Tom helped us install and configure last September.
>
>Now I am having difficulty compiling and linking even established mcidas
>src code.  The 'fx' script appears to be choking during the link process.

Is your objective to rebuild the entire distribution using the Sun compilers?
Or, are you modifying source code and then trying to build individual routines?

In either case, the easiest way of doing builds is to use 'make' directly.
I strongly recommend staying away from the fx.sh shell script that SSEC
provides with McIDAS.

>Below is some sample output.  Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

The most important thing is to first make sure that all environment
variables are correctly defined before doing any compilation.  This
was the trickiest thing to get right before building last September
since the location of needed libraries on the target Sun machine was
non-standard.  I suspect that what you are running into now is a
reflection of the same challanges I had when we build in September.

Quite frankly, things were strange enough that I think that it would
be hard to talk you through this by email or even over the phone.
Do you have some time today for me to sit down with you and work
through a build?  This would most likely save us both a lot of time.