20040610: importing and contouring data on GOES imagery (cont.)

>From: Owen Cooper <address@hidden>

Hi Owen,

re: I will look at the data this afternoon or tomorrow
Well, I was able to get to this quicker than I thought...

>Well, I'm just not having any luck at all.
>I changed the format of  my text files so that the date is in ccyyddd
>format and the time is in hh:mm:ss format.

These should be OK.

>And I created a new schema file but I ran into several problems
>1) Using PTLIST, the date is listed as 0.000000
>2) the maximum number of columns allowed is 3500 but my data file has
>   6000+ entries.
>3) When I reduced the number of entries to below 3500 the data did plot
>   with PTCON but the date was listed as 0.0 and the time was listed as
>   22.37Z even though it should have been 00Z.
>
>I have attached a sample data file and the SCHEMA file.  Could I ask you
>the favor of trying to modify the schema so that the data will plot?
>I would really appreciate it!

Here goes:

>1) Using PTLIST, the date is listed as 0.000000
1) I took your schema, DCFPOZ and noticed that its format was screwed
   up, and you had specified SCALE factors for DAY and TIME which should
   have none.

   Second, to make life easier, the schema file no longer has to be
   in McIDAS LW format; it can be an ASCII text file.

   Given these two things, I recreated your schema as an ASCII text
   file, FPOZ.TXT:

"       NAME    VSN     DATE    ID      TEXTID
"       ----    ---     ----    --      ------
SCHEMA  FPOZ    1       04156   0       "FLEXPART COLUMN O3

"KEY    SCALE   UNITS   DESCRIPTION
"---    -----   -----   -----------

ROWS    1               "1 time per file

DAY             CYD     "Year and julian day
TIME            HMS     "nominal time

COLUMNS 3500            "# ! OF COLUMNS

DATA                    "START OF DATA SECTION

LAT     4       DEG     "LATITUDE (DECIMAL DEG)
LON     4       DEG     "LONGITUDE (DECIMAL DEG)
O3      4       CON     "COLUMN O3

ENDSCHEMA

  I then put the schema and your data file in the ~mcidas/workdata
  directory (since I was working as the user 'mcidas'; if I was not the
  user 'mcidas', I would have put them in ~/mcidas/data).

  Next, I added the schema to the SCHEMA file.  I did this after
  copying SCHEMA from ~mcidas/data to ~mcidas/workdata (so I wouldn't
  change the schema file sent in the McIDAS distribution), again
  in workdata since I was working as the user 'mcidas'.

  Next, I registered the FPOZ schema:

SCHE FPOZ.TXT
FPOZ.TXT     will be treated as a text file
"       NAME    VSN     DATE    ID      TEXTID
SCHEMA  FPOZ    1       04156   0       "FLEXPART COLUMN O3
*--SCHEMA * FPOZ *, VERSION * 1 * ADDED TO SCHEMA FILE *  KEYS=5
 --END OF SCHEMA REGISTRATION PROGRAM

  Then I verified that it had been correctly registered:

LSCHE FPOZ

NAME: FPOZ  VERSION:  1  DATE: 2004156  TEXTID: "FLEXPART COLUMN O3