20040423: reading non-McIDAS files into McIDAS (cont.)

>From: Paul Ruscher <address@hidden>

Hi Paul,

re: serving FSU GVAR data through ADDE
>if this all works I would have no objection to the concept
>(without thinking much about it or talking to any hardware/net people)
>of sharing our GVAR data outside FSU, either, if such a backup site
>would be useful for anyone.

This would be a _wonderful_ service for the entire community,
and we would welcome it with open arms!!

>Thanks much for your help!  The data now
>reside on our ftp server, too - ftp://ftp.met.fsu.edu/pub/ruscher/GVAR.

I got the original 3 files that Joe told me about through the web
interface, thanks.  Yesterday afternoon I started to look at the CONUS
file and tried to serve it through ADDE using guesses for the setup.  I
am close enough to getting this to work that I feel confident that I
can figure out the remaining steps.  How long this will take, on the
other hand, is unknown.  I have a couple of pressing jobs that I have
to attend to by Monday, so playing with the setup this weekend is
pretty much out.

In the meantime, can you tell me how you ingest the GVAR data?
Understanding your setup may help me to more fully understand the steps
that I need to take to get things working.

The other reason is pure interest on my part:  if you have a TeraScan
system, and IF I can develop a procedure that allows ADDE to serve the
raw data ingested by it, then a long standing goal of being able to use
TeraScan-received data in existing applications will be realized.  This
would be a very important step for the education and research community!

>From address@hidden  Fri Apr 23 09:18:44 2004

I am pretty sure that we got the raw GVAR files, in that they have not
been changed from the original GVAR format.  Therefore, we should first
treat them as if they are in fact GVAR-format files.  Paul, could you
contact Quorum in the near future to confirm this?

Joe Barrett