20040414: data frequency in ADDE servers for McIDAS

>From: Joe Barrett <address@hidden>

Joe,

>I noticed that a few ADDE servers contain satellite imagery about every 15
>minutes.

The GINIEAST and GINIWEST datasets contain the 15 minute CONUS scans
broadcast in NOAAPORT.  These datasets are available from several sites
that are providing free access to their data through ADDE as part of
the Unidata Cooperating Community Server effort.

>I would like to know which, if any, of the ADDE servers have
>satellite imagery from rapid-scan operations.

The only ADDE server I know of that is open to the Unidata community
that has SRO scans is unidata2.ssec.wisc.edu.  The ADDE group names of
the datasets that will be of interest to you are be EAST (GOES-East)
and WEST (GOES-West).  The ADDE dataset descriptor name in both cases
is OTHER.

Access is then provided by:

DATALOC ADD EAST unidata2.ssec.wisc.edu
DATALOC ADD WEST unidata2.ssec.wisc.edu

Please note that access to the EAST and WEST datasets has not been
publically advertised.  The main reason for this is that we are at the
beginning of a process that will create a redundant site(s) for all of
the GOES-East and GOES-West data.  I have not released the information
about the datasets on unidata2 since it would most likely get innundated
by ADDE hits.  After the redundant site(s) are up and running, I will
fell more confident that no one server will be innundated by requests.

Also, there is an ADDE server operated by NASA that contains global
MODIS data from the Aqua and Terra platforms.  The server accepts only
uncompressed ADDE requests, so if your McIDAS session(s) have the
MCCOMPRESS environment varible set, you will have to EXIT your session;
unset MCCOMPRESS; and then start a new session before you will be able
to access the MODIS data.  Access information for the MODIS data is:

dataset group name:  NANUK
ADDE server:         nanuk.eosdis.nasa.gov

>Joe Barrett
>research assistant for Dr. Paul Ruscher
>Florida State University

Say hi to Paul for me!