20040413: LDM ingest, McIDAS access to imagery (cont.)

>From: "Luis A. Lopez" <address@hidden>

Hi Luis,

>Evrething was ok except this part:

>>Next, click on the Display dropdown..

>When I click Display, nothing happens.

Looks like I left out one step.  You must set the ADDE server for
the datasets you want to access.  This can be done in a variety
of ways, but the directions on the Unidata McIDAS web pages go
as follows:

<as 'mcidas'>
cd ~mcidas/data
cp DATALOC.BAT LOCDATA.BAT

- edit LOCDATA.bat and change 'fully_qualified_host_identifier' to the
  server for the datasets

Since you don't know the possible servers, I offer the following as
a set of defines to start with:

DATALOC ADD CIMSS     atm.geo.nsf.gov
DATALOC ADD GINICOMP  pscwx.plymouth.edu
DATALOC ADD GINIEAST  atm.geo.nsf.gov
DATALOC ADD GINIWEST  papagayo.unl.edu
DATALOC ADD GOESEAST  unidata2.ssec.wisc.edu
DATALOC ADD NEXRCOMP  atm.geo.nsf.gov
DATALOC ADD RTGRIDS   papagayo.unl.edu
DATALOC ADD RTIMAGES  cacimbo.ggy.uga.edu
DATALOC ADD RTNEXRAD  atm.geo.nsf.gov
DATALOC ADD RTPTSRC   atm.geo.nsf.gov
DATALOC ADD RTWXTEXT  atm.geo.nsf.gov
DATALOC ADD TOPO      LOCAL-DATA

Then:

cd ~mcidas/workdata
batch.k LOCDATA.BAT

This will create a set of "pointers" for datasets to servers that
have the data.

After doing the above, you will be able to display data from any
of the datasets listed as long as that server is up.

-- I believe that I already sent you the following procedure --

The second thing you can do is to click on the MCGUI button that shows
two computers, one above the other (just to the right of the button
with the red Z on it), and then click on the IMAGE tab.  For each
dataset listed, you can choose a server for the data.  The list
of servers represents the set of cooperating community servers that
have agreed to open access to their data holdings via McIDAS ADDE.

NOTE: if the above still doesn't work, it most likely means one
of two things:

- you have specified that you want to use 'compress' compressed
  data transfers (MCCOMPRESS=TRUE), but your system does not
  have the 'compress' and/or 'uncompress' applications installed

- you have a firewall that is blocking ports 500, 503, and 112.
  These ports are used for McIDAS ADDE transfers:

  500 - uncompressed transfers
  503 - 'compress' compressed transfers
  112 - 'gzip' compressed transfers

With the next release of McIDAS, port 112 will be the only port
that will be used, so it will be the only one that needs to be
open through firewalls.

>Also I got an error when try to
>stop ldm with ldmdadmin, probably because it try to stop syslogd and has
>no permission to do it.  Thank you for your help.

The LDM does not try to stop syslogd.  It does, however, try to send
a HUP signal to syslogd.  It should be capable of doing this _if_
you did a complete install of the LDM.  By complete install, I mean
that you did the last build/install step that must be done as
'root':

<as 'root'>
cd ~ldm/ldm-6.0.14/src
make install_setuids