20040325: Unidata LDM feeds for Vietnam (cont.)

>From: Mai Nguyen <address@hidden>

Hi Mai,

re: S-VISSR images you get

>We've got data from JMA, and they provide them with
>their format (SVISSR).

OK.  This appears to be the raw format used by GMS.

>So how about plan B. Could you please send me the
>information about McIDAS AREA format? We've done some
>work to read the SVISSR and covert them to bitmap
>format (plus some special header). If we get the
>McIDAS AREA format, we will be able to encode (with
>some pains of course).

The best resource for learning about McIDAS AREA files is on
the web:

Unidata McIDAS HomePage
http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/software/mcidas/index.html

  Documentation and Training
  http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/software/mcidas/2003/document.html

    Miscellaneous McIDAS documents

    McIDAS Programmer's Reference Manual
    http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/mug/prog_man/prog_man.html

The Miscellaneous McIDAS documents has links to descriptions of particular
formats.  The most useful one for your imagery will be:

Description of AREA file format for GOES GVAR, GOES-7 and METEOSAT PDUS
http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/software/mcidas/miscdocs/area2.html

Since this describes the GVAR format, and GOES-9 is GVAR.

The other thing we could do to help you out is get a GOES-9 image
in AREA format for the same image you have in S-VISSR format.
This way you would have something to compare with your conversion
output.  The best way to proceed on this is for you to get one
or more S-VISSR format images and then I will try to get the same
image from SSEC.

>I hope to hear the positive answer this time. Thanks.

The documentation is there, but the conversion might take a bit of
work.