20040326: confusion over GOES resolution in GINI data

>From: Tom Whittaker <address@hidden>

Hi Tom,

>In the dataset GINIEAST on motherlode, there is a type named "GINI 1km VIS
>East CONUS".  But it does not appear to be 1km data??

I just looked at all of the images in GINIEAST on motherlode
(adde.ucar.edu), and they look like VIS images of reasonably high
resolution to me (well, all of the images after about 11Z since the
rest are black).  Can you be more explicit about which image(s) you
don't think look like 1 km VIS?  Also, what do they appear to be (e.g.,
VIS, but not 1 km; IR, etc.)?  Is it possible that the dataset descriptor
that was being looked at is something other than GE1KVIS?

Compare, for instance:

DATALOC ADD GINIEAST adde.ucar.edu
IMGDISP GINIEAST/GE1KVIS STA=KIAD REFRESH='EG;MAP H'
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/staff/tom/gifs/ginieast1kvis_1645.gif

DATALOC ADD GOESEAST unidata2.ssec.wisc.edu
IMGDISP GOESEAST/WH-1KVIS STA=KIAD REFRESH='EG;MAP H'
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/staff/tom/gifs/goeseast1kvis_1645.gif

>While I was gone (of course), this caused great confusion among some of our
>users.  Can you clarify?

I use the resolution specified in the GINI header, and using the value
in the navigation for the image does result in maps that line up over
recognizable geographic features (e.g., Chesapeake Bay).

>Thanks.

No worries.

>From address@hidden  Fri Mar 26 11:19:42 2004

Tom!!

Good to hear from you.  Thanks for looking at this and giving me more details.
As you might have guessed, people were using the IDV which hides all the
dataset and adde request details behind a GUI.

In any event, I took your lead, and requested a 1km vis GINI _centered_ at a
given lat/long, and...whalha!  I got a nice 1km image.  I think the problem
was that people were not specifying a centerpoint, and the GUI must default
the resolution to something other than 1km.

Don?  Is that the case?

Anyway -- thanks again for your help!!

tom

--