20040324: gribdec.tar.Z availability

>From: "HOETH, BRIAN R. (JSC-ZS) (LM)" <address@hidden>

>Tom:  Does Unidata still offer the gribdec.tar.Z package for converting GRIB
>to McIDAS GRID?  I don't see it in the downloads section
>http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op= of the
>my.unidata website?

Yes, it is still available.  I never put it in the Downloads section of
our web, but I do make it available by passworded FTP.  BTW, I may
be forced to remove all of the McIDAS stuff from the web download
because sites that are not entitled to download McIDAS have falsified
registration information on my.unidata to gain access to the package.
Because of this I may be forced to change the password on the McIDAS
FTP and force users to request the password for new downloads.

>If the gribdec.tar.Z package IS still available, are
>there plans for it to support GRIB2?

At some point either/both of SSEC and I will be forced to upgrade
the XCD decoding to support GRIB2.  Steve Chiswell has just upgraded
GEMPAK to support the JPEG2000 compression used for some of GRIB2
compression.  I have been waiting for him to finish so I could
leverage the XCD work off of what he learned.

I must say that GRIB2 decoding support is not in XCD/gribdec.tar.Z
yet.

>Thanks,

No worries.