20040324: McIDAS v2003 mcwish compile problem

>From: David Fitzgerald <address@hidden>

Hi Dave,

>I'm trying to compile McIDAS 2003 on a Linux Redhat 9.0 system.  During the
>compile, mcwish fails to link correctly.
>
>Here is the output from the makelog, which shows the error:
>
>compile tkAppInit.c:            done
>
>./tclcomp ./mccomp -O -s -g77 -o mcwish wishcrex.o wisherrh.o wishinit.o
>wishmcid.o wishrglb.o wishutil.o wishxinf.o wishxwin.o tkAppInit.o -L.
>-lmcidas
>
>mccomp: Using default optimizations
>
>g77 -s -Wl,-rpath,/home/mcidas/tcl/lib -O -o mcwish wishcrex.o wisherrh.o
>wishinit.o wishmcid.o wishrglb.o wishutil.o wishxinf.o wishxwin.o
>tkAppInit.o -L. -L/home/mcidas/tcl/lib -L/home/mcidas/tcl/lib
>-L/usr/X11R6/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lmcidas -ltk8.4 -ltcl8.4 -lX11 -ldl
>-lieee -lm -ldl -lm
>
>/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -ltk8.4
>
>collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>
>link    mcwish:                 FAILED

I ran into this problem just recently, and have developed the fix, but
it has not been incorportated into an addendum yet.

Please ftp the script 'tclcomp.sh' using anonymous FTP from our FTP
server, ftp.unidata.ucar.edu:

<login as 'mcidas'>
cd mcidas2003/src
ftp ftp.unidata.ucar.edu
  <user> anonymous
  <pass> address@hidden
  cd pub/mcidas/src
  binary
  get tclcomp.sh
  quit

You should then be able to restart your McIDAS build:

make VENDOR=-g77
 -- or --
make all VENDOR=-g77

>I see that the compiler is looking at /home/mcidas/tcl/lib twice.  I looked
>at the support e-mails for similar problems, and the solution given was to
>link by hand, and insert /home/mcidas/tk/lib in the command line, however, I
>do not have that directory in my distribution.  Is this a problem with
>linux, or more probably unique to me?   :-)

It is a problem that is solved in the replacement version of tclcomp.

> What would be the next step in solving this problem?

See above.

>Thanks !

No worries. Sorry for the problem.

>From address@hidden  Thu Mar 25 09:21:25 2004