20040208: McIDAS - Linux Redhat 8.0 - installation problems (cont.)

>From: "Justin" <address@hidden>

Justin,

>I actually got the installation to work. I figured since it was a
>compiler error, I would just restart the computer. It worked fine. Now I
>am setting the environment variables in the .bash_profile to test the
>build. I am entering my last varible and I don't know to look. I am at
>the part where it asks for an x-windows display server (machine name)
>and I have no idea where to look.

If you are logged onto the system console and are the user running
the XWindow environment, then DISPLAY would be set as:

export DISPLAY=0:0

>From address@hidden Sun Feb  8 14:31:53 2004

>Tom, I am configuring the test executable still. I got the command
><mcidasx> to work, but it is giving me several errors. One says,
>WARNING: No MCPATH env set.

>I have the MCPATH env set to
>MCPATH=/home/mcidas/mcidas2003/data:/home/mcidas/mcidas2003/src

This should have worked.

>It is also giving me several commands not found.
>./mcclean:line 1223:command not found
>./mcidasx:line1:mcimagem:command not found
>./mcidasx:line1355:mcenv:command not found

This is saying that /home/mcidas/mcidas2003/src is not in your PATH.

Since yours is an initial installation, there is really no benefit
to running the tests before finishing the installation.   The
instructions about running the tests is mainly for folks that are
upgrading from a previous distribution.  The idea was to test the
new distribution before removing the old.

Given that yours is an initial installation, I recommend that you
skip the test step; setup your .bash_profile to define the needed
environment variables; and then start your first McIDAS session
using:

mcidas -config

This will work if DISPLAY is correctly defined and if you have
write access to the X server.  What I mean by the last comment is:

- if you brought up X yourself, you will not have problems

- if a different user started X, then you will have to define
  the DISPLAY environment variable AND the user that started
  X will have to allow the machine access to X.  This may seem
  strange since it is the same machine, but it is needed
  nonetheless.  This is an X thing, not a McIDAS thing.

  Assuming that your machine is named abcdef, the user starting
  X would have to allow abcdef to write to the X server:

  xhost +abcdef

The first option is the easiest thing to do, so I recommend it until
you get the feel for X and multiple user access to it.