20040208: McIDAS - Linux Redhat 8.0 - installation problems (cont.)

>From: "Justin" <address@hidden>

Justin,

>I changed the settings that you requested and now it has a hard part
>moving past the initial installation. This is the error it brings up
>now.
>
>       Tclcomp.sh:Error building
>       Tcl config file
>       Tclcomp.sh: Possible compiler error
>       make: ** [tclcom] Error 1

I have built many times on RedHat 7.x, 8.0, 9.0, and Fedora Core 1
with no errors like this.  At this point, I need more specific
information.  Please send me the following information:

1) the name of the user you are trying to install McIDAS under:

<login>
% id

2) the read/write permissions of all files and directories in
   the HOME directory of the user you are trying to install McIDAS
   as:

% cd ~
% ls -alt

3) the Unix environment variables you have in effect when you try
   to build McIDAS:

% env

4) the version numbers of your gcc and g77 compilers:

% gcc --version
% g77 --version

The times I have seen problems in the Tcl/Tk portion of the build
have usually been due to inconsistent environment variable settings,
or cases where a build failed and the installer reset one or
more environment variables and did not do a 'make clobber' before
trying to start a new build.