20040120: UACROSS command on McIDAS2003

>From: "Anderson, Alan C. " <address@hidden>

Hi Alan,

>We are having a problem with this command executing on our terminals. =20
>It happens using either the GUI  or command line. =20

GUI or MCGUI?

>The command fails if we enter a simple lat long  pair  as the beginning
>and ending point of the line.

UACROSS is touchy about specification of the Lat,Lon pairs and the
corrider width keyword.  If the end points chosen are not close to
a raob station, then it gets confused about where to start the
cross section.  Increasing the corridor width usually takes care
of that problem.

>            UACROSS  '30  100    55  100'    ......
>
>Using the GUI,   30  100  was entered in the top box,   55  100  in the
>lower.
>
>I checked to set the time back to 12 Z.

>The command usually runs ok  if we use  station ID's for the beginning
>and ending points, but then as it is executing  the following error window
>pops up:

>            String "?LONS" not written
>
>Also,  on the solaris terminal window (in the background) the following
>appears:

>            bgerror failed to handle background error
>            String: "?LONS" not written
>            error in bgerror: grab failed: another application has grab

This is caused by the same thing.

>From reading the help on UACROSS,  it seems we should be able to use a
>lat long pair (eg. 25  90)

Yes.

>To define the beginning and ending points of the line,  and then the
>corridor width (bottom item in the
>GUI box) uses any station within that distance of the line.

Yes.

>What do you think may be our problem ?

The error about ?LONS not being defined should be rectified by you
running the following from the McIDAS command prompt:

TENTER "UNIMENU.DEF

>Thanks

If you continue to have problems, I will look into this in more detail.
I will be out of the office tomorrow (Thrusday), and in meeting Friday
until noon.  I can get to it after that.