20040114: additional questions on becoming a McIDAS user

>From: address@hidden

Rosalyn,

>thanks for getting back to me.  I completely forgot that there was an
>AMS meeting this week.  I didn't go this year, so, I guess I lost track
>of when it was.

No worries.

>anyway, I just had 3 additional questions.
>
>The first question is about registering.  When I register at
>my.unidata.ucar.edu, do I register as myself (Rosalyn) or do I register
>as George Mason University?  Will this make George Mason a "core
>Unidata Institution"?

Individual users register as Unidata participants.  You would list
your affiliation as GMU, however.  Our concept is that the principle
contact at a university would register to get access to our packages.
In practice, we have found that the person desiring a particular
package goes ahead and registers so that s/he can do the download.

>The second question is about training.  When and where is the
>once-a-year training offered?

This past fall it was held in late October/early November.  If
scheduling works out it is most likely to be in late July/early
August this year.  Since we hav not made up the schedule yet, this
target should not be taken as a firm commitment for that period.

>The third is a question which is more about personal interests.  Can
>you get Meteosat data from the LDM?  Just curious, for my own personal
>research.

Unfortunately no.  One Unidata site does maintain an ADDE server
with one band of Meteosat data in it, so users can access that.
I have inteneded to setup an ADDE server for Meteosat data that
has all bands that are available (meaning the 6-hourly, non encrypted
imagery), but I have not had the chance to set this up yet.