20040108: one more thing at stc

>From: "Anderson, Alan C. " <address@hidden>

Hi Alan,

>I have another glitch, on another machine we are upgrading to
>mcidas2003.
>
>Actually,  because of the way the OS upgrade has worked, coupled with
>the automounter detail on solaris,  the mcidas installs are the same as
>original installs.

OK.

>No problems with the build and configuration for mcidas account.
>When configuring for  other users,   mcidas will start, but it does not
>create the .mcidasrc file with the first start.   I think I had this
>problem before once, and asked you about it, but cannot find my notes.

A few questions:

- is the user starting McIDAS him/herself?  If yes, s/he must have
  write permission for their HOME directory

- how is McIDAS being started?  I suggest starting using:

mcidas -config

  Make sure that the radiobutton that says to save to the default file
  is selected, and then start the session.  Does the .mcidasrc file
  get created then?

>I know
>that you told me I should not have to copy over  the .mcidasrc from
>the mcidas account, but that is all I recall.

That is correct, you should not have to copy over the .mcidasrc file.

>Can you tell me what I need to do ?   Note, this is not on cumulus, but
>another similar terminal.

If the above idea does not work, I would appreciate being allowed to
get on as the user for which there are problems so I can see what is
going on in detail.

Tom