20031113: McIDAS build at Western Michigan (cont.)

>From: Karthik Samudram Jayaraman <address@hidden>

Karthik,

>We had some network problems here which is now figured out. So i
>think you should be able to log on to our system now.
>
>Sorry abt the delay.

I was able to get onto s400.wood.wmich.edu this evening, but I quickly
ran into things I don't understand:

1) there is a _very_ old version of McIDAS installed under the HOME
   directory of the user 'mcidas':

s400.wood.wmich.edu:~> pwd
/import/home01/w9/mcidas
s400.wood.wmich.edu:~> ls
Install.ps    help          man           mcinstall     testpath
admin         inc           mcidas        nsmail        workdata
bin           lib           mcidas7.6     savedata
data          mail          mcinet7.6.sh  tcl

   McIDAS-X 7.6 dates back to 2000.

2) McINST_ROOT is defined to be /cutrim1/mcidas, not /import/home01/w9/mcidas.
   The standard way of installing McIDAS is under the HOME directory of
   the user 'mcidas'.

3) I can not find either a C (cc) or Fortran (f77) compiler:

s400.wood.wmich.edu:~> echo $CC
/opt/SUNWspro/bin/cc
s400.wood.wmich.edu:~> which cc
cc: Command not found.
s400.wood.wmich.edu:~> ls /opt/SUNWspro/bin/cc
/opt/SUNWspro/bin/cc: No such file or directory

s400.wood.wmich.edu:~> echo $FC
/opt/SUNWspro/bin/f77
s400.wood.wmich.edu:~> which f77
f77: Command not found.
s400.wood.wmich.edu:~> ls /opt/SUNWspro/bin/f77
/opt/SUNWspro/bin/f77: No such file or directory

So, what exactly is the concept behind installing McIDAS on s400:

1) why is McIDAS not being built and installed under ~mcidas

2) where are the compilers I am supposed to use

3) is the McIDAS-X 7.6 installation supposed to be kept, or can it
   be removed (it dates back to 2000)

Please help me understand what is to be done on s400.  Thanks.

Tom