20031104: mcidas 2003 at stc (cont.)

>From: "Anderson, Alan C. " <address@hidden>

Hi Alan,

>the pw you need is set ...

OK.  I logged on waldo and made the correction in the pqact.conf file:

# WV (6.8 um for GOES-10; 6.5 um for GOES-12)
MCIDAS  ^pnga2area Q1 (U[^ACXY1]) (.*) (.*)_IMG (6..)um (.*) (........) (....)
        PIPE    -close
        pnga2area -v
        -a etc/SATANNOT
        -b etc/SATBAND
        data/gempak/images/sat/\3/\5/WV/WV_\6_\7

The problem was that the WV images from GOES-12 are at 6.5 um while the
same from GOES-10 and the replaced GOES-8 are at 6.8. um.  The original
action was keying on the header having 6.8 um, so the pattern was not
being matched for GOES-12 images.

Back on the topic of setting up ingestion of NEXRAD Level III images
and FNEXRAD composites.  I had forgotten that I had already setup
waldo to ingest and process some of the FNEXRAD composites, so those images
are available on waldo and on cyclone.  They are in the NEXRCOMP ADDE
dataset:

cyclone% dsinfo.k I NEXRCOMP

        Dataset Names of Type: IMAGE in Group: NEXRCOMP

Name         NumPos   Content
------------ ------   --------------------------------------
10KRCM-NAT   99999    10 km RCM National Composite Radar
1KN0R-FLT    99999    1 km N0R Regional Composite Radar
6KN0R-NAT    99999    6 km N0R National Composite Radar

DSINFO -- done

What isn't setup is ingestion of NEXRAD Level III products (products
for individual radars).  This could be done easily if you like.  If
you decide that you want them, I would setup ingestion of just those
radars in the MN vicinity.  Please let me know.

Since I now am on waldo, I am taking the opportunity to upgrade the LDM
to the latest Unidata release, LDM-6.0.14 -- we talked about this step
about a month or so ago.  The thing I need to finish the installation
is the root password on waldo.  Can you provide this to me?  If yes,
please either send it to my personal email address -- with no mention
of account or machine -- or call me with the info (303.497.8642).  Thanks.

The other thing I want to do is upgrade the ldm-mcidas decoders on waldo
to the latest release.  Since I never cut a binary distribution for
Solaris x86 5.7, I may have to build the distribution from source.  I
will let you know if/when I have this completed.

One last item.  I strongly suggest that someone there get ssh running
on waldo.  Opening it up to telnet access is dangerous.  What you could
if getting ssh running is overly difficult is allow telnet connections
only from machines in the local domain.  I could then ssh into cyclone
and telnet across to waldo.  Just a thought...

Tom