20030925: McIDAS-X setup after disk failure

>From: Eirh-Yu Hsie <address@hidden>

Hsie,

I am sorry that I have not been able to get to this as quickly as
I would have liked, but I was out of the office part of the day
and we preparing for upcoming steering committee meetings.

>I had a disk failure yesterday.  After replacing the disks and
>reformatting the file system (for the McIDAS depository directory
>/wrk/data/mcidas in blizzard.al.noaa.gov) and restart ldm process, I am
>missing some files (like GRIDxxx).  These are the data provided for ADDE
>server on stratus.al.noaa.gov.  Could you please help me find out what
>are missing!!

The procedure you should go through given that the directory in which
you were having your XCD and, presumably, ldm-mcidas decoders write to
is:

<as 'ldm'>
ldmadmin stop       <- stop the LDM

<as 'mcidas'>
cd ~mcidas/workdata
<verify that the McIDAS string XCDDATA is defined and points at the
 correct directory /wrk/data/mcidas;

tl.k
te.k XCDATA \"/wrk/data/mcidas          <- if needed

cp ROUTE.SYS /wrk/data/mcidas
cp ~/data/SYSKEY.TAB /wrk/data/mcidas
cp ~/data/SCHEMA /wrk/data/mcidas

<make sure that McIDAS file REDIRECTions are setup to locate McIDAS
files like MDXX*, GRID[56], etc. in /wrk/data/mcidas>

batch.k XCD.BAT
batch.k XCDDEC.BAT

decinfo.k LIST             <- check to see that you have enabled all
                              McIDAS-XCD decoders that you want to run;
                              if one or more needs to be turned on,
                              use decinfo.k SET DM... ACTIVE, where
                              DM... is the data monitor in question
                              (DMSFC, DMSYN, DMMISC, DMRAOB, DMGRID)

At this point, if the only thing you lost was the output data directory,
you should be ready to resume XCD and ldm-mcidas decoding:

<as 'ldm'>
ldmadmin start

If you run into problems, it most likely means that more was lost
than just the data directory.  Please let me know if this is the case.

Tom