20030804: mcidas x startup

>From: "Fingerhut, William A" <address@hidden>

Bill,

>We are preparing a linux image for new machines in our lab, and we have
>enough time before classes start to do things right, not just to work.

OK, you should consider loading the new McIDAS distribution, v2003 so
you are as up to date as possible.  I havn't announced v2003 yet, but I
will in the next day or so if all things go right.  The distribution is
available through the my.unidata Downloads pages and six sites have
already grabbed and installed it since last Thrusday.

>Thus, a question came up as to the correct way to start mcidas-x: does
>the user enter mcidas or mcidasx ?

This will depend on what s/he wants the startup script to do.

>We have been using mcidasx because mcidas did not do exactly what we
>wanted.

Right.  I had an exchange with Mark some time ago about this.  The
'mcidas' startup does not allow for creating a session with multiply
sized frames or user defined startup ('-c') actions in .mcidasrc.  mcidasx
does allow for these things, however.

>If we should be using mcidas, I will get back to you with our problems.

As I recall, you wanted certain things to run on McIDAS start.  Given
this, you should use mcidasx at least for now.

>Thanks, Bill

Talk to you later...

Tom